How to get money

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ISTAND

How to get money

Postby ISTAND » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:46 pm

When I submitted my law school apps I didn't see any section to fill out about whether I'd like a scholarship and/or student loans yet those who get in post the scholarships they've been offered. Is there a form I don't know about that I need to submit to each of the schools? If I filled out on my apps that I work does that disqualify me from receiving aid? Sorry for these stupid questions I'm obviously clueless when it comes to financial aid. I had a 3.9 gpa when I enrolled to my undergrad and my parents were poor and I had to take out 100% loans to finance 4 years plus room/board, I just don't know how to get scholarships and don't want to finance law school 100% too if there's any way around it. My undergrad uni never said congrats you're in and here's 10 g's to help pay. Is it different for law school where they automatically send money offers with acceptance letters?

northwood

Re: How to get money

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:54 pm

some schools automatically put all applicants into the scholarship pool. If your numbers are above the medians you have a shot. If you are above both 75% you have a better chance.

Other schools I think you get admitted, then if you are worthy of scholarships- you have to write an extra essay or something. they may tell you if you are to get money in your admissions packet.

As for need based aid, I dont think you can apply until you have done the 2011 fasfa.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:05 pm

Ohh got it. Thnx.

bb8900

Postby bb8900 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:34 pm

Are you viewed as an independent based on FAFSA, even if your parents make a lot of money.

For example, my parents make a good living and declare me on their taxes, but I will have to pay for law school all on my own. So would I still get something by filling out a FAFSA or would they just look at the figures and say "peace out?"

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:58 am

starting a grad degree makes you automatically independent for fafsa purposes. read the instructions before you fill it out.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:01 am

Either you're slingin' crack rock or you got a wicked jump-shot.

Return to “Financial Aid”