Applying to schools only to use as leverage for scholarships Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
nyckid

New

Applying to schools only to use as leverage for scholarships

Post by nyckid » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:34 pm

I have a question about the whole "negotiating scholarship" process that I've heard bits and pieces about. I'm wondering how "real" this is. I have a 3.78/171 (Ivy, FWIW), and will not be eligible for need based financial aid. Right now I have not yet applied to UVa, Michigan, or Northwestern, and truthfully, would probably turn down all of the above for Duke. I just got into Duke, and while it's not my first choice, I would be excited enough to go there but would want to get as much money from them (or any other school I end up getting into) as possible.

My question is whether this whole negotiating scholarships business is "real enough" that it's worth applying to those schools just to use them as leverage at Duke, or should I be fortunate enough, NYU or Penn?

Thank you so much!

NU_Jet55

Silver

Re: Applying to schools only to use as leverage for scholarships

Post by NU_Jet55 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:55 pm

It is real. Just be tactful, and don't be a douche when you do it.

Also, it works best when you get into similarly ranked/slightly lower ranked schools and get more $. For instance, if you got a 1/4th scholly to Duke and got into NYU at sticker, Duke would likely not give you any more $ just for getting in to a higher ranked school.

BUT, if Northwestern gave you a full scholly and you let Duke know about it, you definitely might be looking at some more $.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:59 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:It is real. Just be tactful, and don't be a douche when you do it.

Also, it works best when you get into similarly ranked/slightly lower ranked schools and get more $. For instance, if you got a 1/4th scholly to Duke and got into NYU at sticker, Duke would likely not give you any more $ just for getting in to a higher ranked school.
+1

Tons of applicants do this every year, and schools are much more willing to negotiate scholarships with people who don't think they're God's gift to Adcomms...

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:18 pm

OP:

This is a large part of my strategy, honestly. I think it is totally worth it. You probably have some fee waivers, making it a $12 and 2-6 hour investment for possibly as much as $150,000. Even if you paid $100 to apply... um, that is still totally worth it.

Just, as above, don't be a douche...

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:09 pm

What schools do you think Duke would be interested in hearing about? Is it worth applying at Texas, Vandy, UCLA? Or are those not considered peer schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:27 am

arism87 wrote:What schools do you think Duke would be interested in hearing about? Is it worth applying at Texas, Vandy, UCLA? Or are those not considered peer schools?
If you get into Duke you'll definitely get into those schools with srs $. That could possibly help you get more $ from Duke, but you won't know until you try.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:39 am

Can you leverage scholarship from one school then use that for leverage at another school?

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:51 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Can you leverage scholarship from one school then use that for leverage at another school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”