What kind of money might I get?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
TheTallOne0602

What kind of money might I get?

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:17 pm

I have a 4.0 and a 178 (which came up from a 169, due to weird snowstorms and such) and have applied to Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Georgetown, Cornell, Fordham and George Washington.

Assuming I get into most of them (not exactly a given but if I don't get in the question is moot) what kind of money could I expect to get? I have been told that it is basically entirely numbers based, which I assume is good news for me (assuming they look at my higher LSAT) but I basically have no idea how this works.

vanwinkle

Re: What kind of money might I get?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:28 pm

H and Y (and I think S) only give need-based financial aid, so it'd depend on your income situation (and your parents' income situation if you're under 29). However, you could probably get named scholarships from Columbia on down. You should also consider applying to Michigan and Penn if you're looking for a full ride, because you'd be eligible for the Darrow and Levy respectively there.

You won't get money from Fordham, because they don't have money to give. They don't regularly give large scholarship awards, due to a lack of endowment relative to other schools.

You should also consider applying to Yale and Stanford, because they're Yale and Stanford. Depending on your financial situation you might get need-based aid from them, but even if not, there's a reason people go to them over other schools.

TheTallOne0602

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:58 pm

I forgot to mention that I am applying to Yale, also. But is there a substantial difference in graduating from Yale and Columbia, such that it would make it worth a huge difference in money (I'm not saying I would get a ton of money from Columbia, I am just wondering)?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:49 am

TheTallOne0602 wrote:I forgot to mention that I am applying to Yale, also. But is there a substantial difference in graduating from Yale and Columbia, such that it would make it worth a huge difference in money (I'm not saying I would get a ton of money from Columbia, I am just wondering)?

You probably would get a ton of money from Columbia. However, there is a substantial difference between Yale and Columbia, mostly in terms of clerkship opportunities and chances of making academia if you end up wanting to pursue that. Clerkships are incredibly valuable (not just for the experience, but also monetarily, law firms will pay you a $50K bonus if you do a federal clerkship before starting there) and given how competitive the clerkship market is right now, if you're at all interested in doing that it's worth it to go to Yale just for that opportunity.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:50 am

Keep in mind that Yale has an insanely good LRAP, such that it's more or less impossible to get into trouble with your student loans.

Return to “Financial Aid”