What criteria is weighed more?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ATORR21

What criteria is weighed more?

Postby ATORR21 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:37 pm

Greetings my fellow colleagues,

I'm preparing myself to apply to law schools next fall. The one aspect I'm a little fuzzy on is what criteria will be weighed when I apply for financial aid? I have two boys under three years old, a home (which I'm selling) and a well paying job that I'll be giving up to attend law school full time. I have excellent credit, but when I quit my job and have no income coming in I will require need based aid to get us through. Will lenders and or university financial aid offices loan me money? My circumstances will change dramtically once I leave my job. Will they take that into consideration? My previous year's tax returns will indicate I make money, but like I said, that will change.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

AT

Re: What criteria is weighed more?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:12 pm

ATORR21 wrote:Greetings my fellow colleagues,

I'm preparing myself to apply to law schools next fall. The one aspect I'm a little fuzzy on is what criteria will be weighed when I apply for financial aid? I have two boys under three years old, a home (which I'm selling) and a well paying job that I'll be giving up to attend law school full time. I have excellent credit, but when I quit my job and have no income coming in I will require need based aid to get us through. Will lenders and or university financial aid offices loan me money? My circumstances will change dramtically once I leave my job. Will they take that into consideration? My previous year's tax returns will indicate I make money, but like I said, that will change.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

AT

As long as you have halfway decent credit, you will get federal loans to cover the entire Cost of Attendance. I don't know if that will be enough for you though since you have kids.

kalvano

Re: What criteria is weighed more?

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:28 pm

I believe a lot of schools allow you to ask for an increase in the estimated COL if you have kids, etc.

Return to “Financial Aid”