Percentage of law school students borrowing

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
bdubs

Percentage of law school students borrowing

Postby bdubs » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 pm

Looking at USNWR numbers for the percent of students who are borrowing, almost all T14 schools have <85% of students borrowing. I know that at most of those schools there are not 15% of students receiving full scholarships. Are there just a lot (5-10%) of rich kids at law school who have mommy and daddy footing the bill, or is there something to these numbers that I don't understand?

theantiscalia

Re: Percentage of law school students borrowing

Postby theantiscalia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:35 pm

bdubs wrote:Looking at USNWR numbers for the percent of students who are borrowing, almost all T14 schools have <85% of students borrowing. I know that at most of those schools there are not 15% of students receiving full scholarships. Are there just a lot (5-10%) of rich kids at law school who have mommy and daddy footing the bill, or is there something to these numbers that I don't understand?

Even if you had a full tuition scholarship, you'd still need to borrow close to $20,000 per year for living expenses... higher in places like NYC.

These are the rich kids with Mommy and Daddy helping them out. Alternatively, they had a super lucrative pre-law career... this is more common than you'd think. (That said, I had one of these, have a 3/4 tuition scholarship, and I'm STILL borrowing to be here.)

bdubs

Re: Percentage of law school students borrowing

Postby bdubs » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:40 pm

theantiscalia wrote:
bdubs wrote:Alternatively, they had a super lucrative pre-law career... this is more common than you'd think.

No offense, but I have trouble believing that people who made enough to save up $175,000 (after taxes and living expenses) would ever want to quit that job to go to law school. It's not like quitting a job as a VP at an ibank to spend three years in school only to become a big law associate makes any sense whatsoever.

So... is law school filled with a bunch of stuck up snobs?

Return to “Financial Aid”