Loans... point of no return?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
patrickd139

Re: Loans... point of no return?

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:49 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Beantown26 wrote:And to all...the reason you hear mostly bad things on this site...like not being able to get jobs and related items, is because the people who have jobs do not have time to post here...the people who have jobs are making PAPER...not posting on TLS...my guess is the people who do the majority of the posting are below average...my advice to people is find a hobby or activity that contributes to your net wealth...

Dude, you're retarded. There are more biglaw SAs on this board than I can count. The posters here represent Law Reviews up and down the T1. You'd be lucky to achieve half of what some of the regulars have done.

Not only do I agree with the fact that a vast majority of the regular posters on this board are, or will end up, highly qualified, driven and successful law students/graduates, but TLS--along with those who post here--has already contributed to my "net wealth" in many ways. Beneath the snarky commentary, there's some great advice on here.

OP: there's an adage, "Live like a student now or live like a student for the rest of your life." Please don't take any more loans out than you have to. 99.9% of the time, student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:55 pm

OP: Drop out now.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:59 pm

MTal wrote:OP: Drop out now.

:lol:

/thread

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:00 pm

I stand corrected.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:06 pm

Beantown26 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
Beantown26 wrote:I feel like you cannot listen to the "reasonable man"...he is on the site way too much...

Dude go to a bar, get a hobby, etc...

check the site once in awhile...find your balance...

TLS is not real life...

2600 posts in 18 months is equal to less than 5 posts per day my friend. This argument has been tried and has failed. I'm better than you in every possible way; it really is that simple. Now if you'll excuse me, the shoe shine guy has arrived at my office and my shoes require some attention. If you'd like, I'll get his card, he may need an assistant.

Few things...

First off 5 posts a day is a lot...busy people with big things going on do not have time for 5 posts a day...

Second...your too emotional...emotions will kill you in most careers....it will probably limit you somewhat...

Third...cool out bro...let other people "ruin" their lives and you go get your shoe shined, read your comic books, attend the Star Wars conventions, play online video games, etc...

And to all...the reason you hear mostly bad things on this site...like not being able to get jobs and related items, is because the people who have jobs do not have time to post here...the people who have jobs are making PAPER...not posting on TLS...my guess is the people who do the majority of the posting are below average...my advice to people is find a hobby or activity that contributes to your net wealth...

Let’s face it… most “nerds” are terrible with people; hence they struggle with job interviews…because they are forced to communicate in person and not on blogs, websites, TLS, etc…and they panic…

Don’t post 2600 items on TLS...do something more productive...

Law School is fantastic...and I think if you want to go you should...it’s just different in that many people that attend are nothing...(medical school and business school require a certain level of achievement before entering…therefore a higher quality person attends overall) a bunch of kids who majored in history, political science, and english...these kids can't get real jobs if they wanted one coming out of school, so it makes it that much harder to market them even after a law degree….
I suggested majoring in accounting, engineering, finance, maybe something medical related, etc…you will be marketable before law school and after as well…it gives you options….

And to the “reasonableman” just try and read the post and not respond…I know you want to…but walk away…you can do it…step back…take your hands off the mouse….that’s it walk away…

I’m guessing you couldn’t…your emotions would never allow that…o well

Good luck to everyone…I hope everyone is working hard…making paper…doing what they love and following their dreams…MUCH LOVE!!!

PEACE
P.S. I left some grammatical errors …I know some people on this site love correcting posts…ENJOY!!!

Cool story bro. How much paper are you making right now?

Beantown26

Postby Beantown26 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:34 pm

I got to run after this...and I am going to let you guys do what you do...POST...but...

As for your question reasonableman...its useless for a couple reasons...stop posting just to post......i could just lie about how much a make right? I could really tell you how much I make and you would most likely assume it a lie right? Your post is silly...what value does it serve???

I agree with the poster above...if you dig this site can be valuable...it could be much more useful if people like reasonableman stops posting just because....

If your posting for attention or to interact with people...post on facebook or another site....or talk to people in person!!!!

MUCH LOVE...PEACE

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:48 pm

Beantown26 wrote:I got to run after this...and I am going to let you guys do what you do...POST...but...

As for your question reasonableman...its useless for a couple reasons...stop posting just to post......i could just lie about how much a make right? I could really tell you how much I make and you would most likely assume it a lie right? Your post is silly...what value does it serve???

I agree with the poster above...if you dig this site can be valuable...it could be much more useful if people like reasonableman stops posting just because....

If your posting for attention or to interact with people...post on facebook or another site....or talk to people in person!!!!

MUCH LOVE...PEACE

Get lost, Bozo. I'd rather have a practicing attorney posting here than whatever the hell position you think you've achieved.

katekate

Postby katekate » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:56 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Beantown26 wrote:I got to run after this...and I am going to let you guys do what you do...POST...but...

MUCH LOVE...PEACE

Get lost, Bozo. I'd rather have a practicing attorney posting here than whatever the hell position you think you've achieved.

Just caught up on all of this... exciting stuff!!!! Thanks to NOBODY for answering my question.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:11 am

katekate wrote: Thanks to NOBODY for answering my question.

Massive RC fail, OP.

Aqualibrium wrote:RM gave the guy good advice. Tough it out, then get a job next year...The experience [OP will] earn at a job will make [you] more marketable, and allow [you] to keep the debt load as low as possible.

kkklick wrote:I would suggest transferring to a place with cheaper tuition, 50K is brutal.

XxSpyKEx wrote:IMO, the difference in terms of your monthly payments between $150k in loans versus $165k is not going to be that large (and you are going to struggle to repay those loans regardless if you go into private practice and opt a typical 10 year repayment plan).

reasonable_man wrote:No problem. I offered you about the best advice you could possibly get on here.. The only advice that might help you avoid the overly likely result of unemployment at graduation. You didn't like that advice, so you'll ignore it. I also suggested that your school is a TTT, so that you might hopefully get on board with that idea and realize that it will be up to you to hustle to find a job now and that waiting to get one later on down the line is an awful idea. You will, no doubt, laugh this off as silly advice. However, think back to this conversation in exactly 3 years, after you have sat for the bar and you have no job lined up and contact me then to tell me that I am wrong. I won't say "I told you so," but I also won't offer you any advice; as by then, you will already have been duped by the T2 scam and it will be too late for you to undo the disaster you have made of your life. The US News says your school is ranked 61.73, exactly... Sadly, those numbers mean nothing to anyone but 0Ls and law students. To the rest of the world, its just another law school ... no different than any of the other schools that aren't a top 25 or so... So take out more loans young schollar.. Make sure you finish in the top 26% percent instead of the top 29%... That will absolutely help way more than work experience and minimizing your debt load.

Good luck though.. Take out some more loans.. It won't matter in the end..

Hattori Hanzo wrote:As it is, you'll graduate with $150K+ in loans. Considering IBR, I don't see how an incremental $15K is going to have a significant impact on your post graduation life, while it will certainly make life much easier in the next 3 years. Take out the loans.

bkbkbk wrote:Ultimatly you must do what you feel is best but personally, $15,000 is a good chunk of money and couple that to the fact that unforseen financial emergencies may come up in your remaining term, I just would not do it if at all possible. We might have different objectives but it is not so imperitive for me to live a comfortable lifestyle now. I am forgoing pleasure now for greater future returns.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:30 am

2nd tier= TT? Drop out now.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:01 am

Beantown26 wrote:Few things...

First off 5 posts a day is a lot...busy people with big things going on do not have time for 5 posts a day...

Second...your too emotional...emotions will kill you in most careers....it will probably limit you somewhat...

Third...cool out bro...let other people "ruin" their lives and you go get your shoe shined, read your comic books, attend the Star Wars conventions, play online video games, etc...

And to all...the reason you hear mostly bad things on this site...like not being able to get jobs and related items, is because the people who have jobs do not have time to post here...the people who have jobs are making PAPER...not posting on TLS...my guess is the people who do the majority of the posting are below average...my advice to people is find a hobby or activity that contributes to your net wealth...

Let’s face it… most “nerds” are terrible with people; hence they struggle with job interviews…because they are forced to communicate in person and not on blogs, websites, TLS, etc…and they panic…

Law School is fantastic...and I think if you want to go you should...it’s just different in that many people that attend are nothing...(medical school and business school require a certain level of achievement before entering…therefore a higher quality person attends overall) a bunch of kids who majored in history, political science, and english...these kids can't get real jobs if they wanted one coming out of school, so it makes it that much harder to market them even after a law degree….
I suggested majoring in accounting, engineering, finance, maybe something medical related, etc…you will be marketable before law school and after as well…it gives you options….

And to the “reasonableman” just try and read the post and not respond…I know you want to…but walk away…you can do it…step back…take your hands off the mouse….that’s it walk away…

Good luck to everyone…I hope everyone is working hard…making paper…doing what they love and following their dreams…MUCH LOVE!!!

PEACE
P.S. I left some grammatical errors …I know some people on this site love correcting posts…ENJOY!!!

lol no

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:02 am

Oh, and OP, this article may be helpful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:10 am

Beantown26 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
Beantown26 wrote:I feel like you cannot listen to the "reasonable man"...he is on the site way too much...

Dude go to a bar, get a hobby, etc...

check the site once in awhile...find your balance...

TLS is not real life...

2600 posts in 18 months is equal to less than 5 posts per day my friend. This argument has been tried and has failed. I'm better than you in every possible way; it really is that simple. Now if you'll excuse me, the shoe shine guy has arrived at my office and my shoes require some attention. If you'd like, I'll get his card, he may need an assistant.

Few things...

PEACE

tl;dr for most of this, surprised to find somebody who over-abuses ellipses more than myself... a ridiculously long post in which you tell other people to do something more productive than post on TLS is pretty hilarious though

Beantown26

Postby Beantown26 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:39 am

rad law wrote:

PEACE

lol no

RadLaw you know why law school want diverse student bodies?
So more than one perspective is not only discussed and different ideas are presented.
You sir have posted over 5,500 times…you are the post nerd I speak of…
And to post that many times you most likely spend 10 times the amount of time on the board.
Of course you do not agree…you like the “reasonable man” are more comfortable on blogs than dealing with people in person…
You like the “reasonable man” put people down under the cover of blogs…
Most likely you and others like yourself struggle with presentations, interviews, talking to women etc…
Stop posting just to post…
Get a life…go for a walk, take a trip, read a book etc…
Do not copy an entire post and then cross them out and write nothing of substance after…

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:50 am

Beantown26 wrote:RadLaw you know why law school want diverse student bodies?
So more than one perspective is not only discussed and different ideas are presented.
And to post that many times you most likely spend 10 times the amount of time on the board.
Of course you do not agree…you like the “reasonable man” are more comfortable on blogs than dealing with people in person…
Most likely you and others like yourself struggle with presentations, interviews, talking to women etc…
Do not copy an entire post and then cross them out and write nothing of substance after…

lol no

Beantown26

Postby Beantown26 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:53 am

rad law wrote:
Beantown26 wrote:RadLaw you know why law school want diverse student bodies?

lol no

HAHA...you are dedicated sir...its like instant messenger with you...

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:53 am

Beantown26 wrote:
rad law wrote:

PEACE

lol no

RadLaw you know why law school want diverse student bodies?

For someone with such a meaningful life; you sure spend a lot of time on the internet telling people how they have no life. I, unlike you, have revealed my identity on here to several people. They will confirm that I am not a basement dweller... You on the other hand....

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:58 am

reasonable_man wrote:For someone with such a meaningful life; you sure spend a lot of time on the internet telling people how they have no life. I, unlike you, have revealed my identity on here to several people. They will confirm that I am not a basement dweller... You on the other hand....

Speak for yourself. I've fapped twice today in my basement and that's as good as it's gonna get.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:59 am

Beantown26 wrote:HAHA...you are dedicated sir...its like instant messenger with you...

It's pretty easy. I didn't even have to read your post.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Yo Beantown, Reasonable_Man is one of the few posters here that has actually managed to get serious employment, a hot wife and a not soul-crushing level of debt out of a shitty law school. His advice is legit.

As far as post count goes, his is pretty damn reasonable.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:03 pm

paratactical wrote:Yo Beantown, Reasonable_Man is one of the few posters here that has actually managed to get serious employment, a hot wife and a not soul-crushing level of debt out of a shitty law school. His advice is legit.

When did you become reasonable?

You can totally be employed, married to a hot wife, and well-adjusted and amass a few thousand post counts

omninode

Postby omninode » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Dear Mr./Ms. Beantown26:

I want to take a moment to offer you a little friendly advice. This is totally off topic but I need to say it. I do not consider myself a stickler for punctuation but I have reached my limit. Please, please, please, in the name of all that is holy, stop using those fucking ellipses like they can stand in for every other punctuation mark. I might actually prefer no punctuation at all to the mess you've created, but I suspect that you must have at least a reasonable writing ability if you've made it to law school. You must know that periods, commas, and even semicolons can be used to connect your thoughts coherently. People might actually take you more seriously if you could demonstrate that you know what a period is. I know I would.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:30 pm

r6_philly wrote:
paratactical wrote:Yo Beantown, Reasonable_Man is one of the few posters here that has actually managed to get serious employment, a hot wife and a not soul-crushing level of debt out of a shitty law school. His advice is legit.

When did you become reasonable?

You can totally be employed, married to a hot wife, and well-adjusted and amass a few thousand post counts

:lol:

Someone must've put something in my coffee.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:55 pm

omninode wrote:People might actually take you more seriously if you could demonstrate that you know what a period is. I know I would.

I won't.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:24 pm

rad law wrote:
omninode wrote:People might actually take you more seriously if you could demonstrate that you know what a period is. I know I would.

I won't.

Return to “Financial Aid”