For FAFSA.. independent student for financial aid

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
krymelo

For FAFSA.. independent student for financial aid

Postby krymelo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:57 pm

I will be 24 years old in late June 2011.
I will have my own income and planning to file tax return.
I am not married, I don't have children.
I am planning to apply to FAFSA as an independent student because I won't be getting any help from my parents.

Although I don't live with my parents, I use my parents' address for my permanent address because I move a lot.

Can I still be considered as independent using parents' address when filling out FAFSA?
I don't think I have to fill out parents' section so may be government won't know?

or should I move to an apartment and fill out that address?

Cmoss

Re: For FAFSA.. independent student for financial aid

Postby Cmoss » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:56 pm

if i remember correctly if your parents dont claim you as a dependent then you are good to go and will be considered independent.

thalassocrat

Re: For FAFSA.. independent student for financial aid

Postby thalassocrat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:29 pm

If you're filling out the FAFSA as a graduate or professional student, which I assume you are considering where we are, you're automatically considered an independent student for the FAFSA. Doesn't matter how much your parents support you, how old you are, or what address you use.

Note I bolded the FAFSA part. That's because for law school, the information on it is only used when considering eligibility for student loans (mainly how much of your Stafford is subsidized). Most schools either have their own form or use a separate form called NeedAccess for other sorts of financial aid. With these other forms, each school determines on its own whether or not it wants your parental information at all, age limits, and other relevant criteria.

Return to “Financial Aid”