lsac fee waiver

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
dali

lsac fee waiver

Postby dali » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:37 pm

I appealed my rejection for LSAC waiver- neither my mom nor I file income taxes- she lives on social security & i'm unemployed
BUT i've already paid for CAS & LSAT so i'm thinking they are just gunna reject me. Right now my account is on hold & it could be 2 more weeks before I receive a decision. Should I just cancel the appeal so I can apply to schools now? Or is there a chance I'll actually get the waiver?

DearCan

Re: lsac fee waiver

Postby DearCan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:10 am

Are you taking the LSAT next month? If so, I don't see the point in canceling since your file can't go complete until November 1st anyway. I would assume that LSAC won't outright reject you for a fee waiver only on the basis that you already registered for CAS and the LSAT. If you provide them with the appropriate documentation to support a strong financial need I think you could still get the fee waiver. Keep in mind that the LSAC fee waiver allows for two LSAT registrations, so if you decide you need to retake in December that test would be free.

If you took the LSAT in June and you're eager to get your apps in before a decision comes back, then cancel. If you don't plan on retaking the LSAT the most you're guaranteed to save is $48 in LSAC processing fees, assuming you can get fee waivers directly from the schools you're applying to.

mah

Postby mah » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:03 am

There is a good chance your appeal could be approved. I had already paid for CAS and LSAT and I got approved for a fee waiver with no appeal necessary. I'm 27 so I didn't have to submit my parents info and I didn't file taxes last year.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:28 am

I applied for the waiver after I'd already paid for the LSAT (I had not yet paid for CAS) and was approved, so I don't think having already paid for something does anything in regards to the result. It's still worth waiting for because many schools automatically waive app fees if you have the LSAC waiver.

mb87

Postby mb87 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Have you heard back on your appeal yet? Mine has been pending for a couple of weeks now...

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:20 pm

I also paid for the June lsat back in the day, and later went on to apply for a fee waiver, get rejected, and accepted after an appeal. It is definitely worth the wait.

Return to “Financial Aid”