differences in need based aid among schools?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
jrockstar80

differences in need based aid among schools?

Postby jrockstar80 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:58 pm

ok i got scholarship + stipend for UG so i am new to financial aid, so apologies if any of this is obvious Q's.

basically due to the crap economy i already decided i'm not going to LS without a full tuition scholarship. with gpa/lsat i should get a few offers of that nature toward the bottom of the T50. however i'm thinking about applying ED to George Washington (where ED acceptance includes a full tuition scholarship). at GW I'm at their median lsat and above their 75% gpa with good softs. plus i live in DC and have strong ties here.

i'm freaked out about not being able to see financial aid offers from other schools from doing ED at GWU. my question is whether the combination of grants, loans, etc for the costs outside tuition, assuming i get a full tuition scholarship, will be different from school to school. it looks like I can take out all the GradPlus I need up to the school's max estimated costs (and cover the rest with private loans if needed), but as far as Stafford and Perkins loans, do different schools have different formulas for who qualify for those? and is there any way to find out the differences in formula between schools? and are the differences between schools so big that it makes sense not to apply ED to GW, to see what kind of need based offers I get from other schools where I would hopefully get a full tuition scholarship?

thanks in advance, and apologies in advance - like i said i am new to financial aid

frost

Re: differences in need based aid among schools?

Postby frost » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:34 am

Not sure about different formulas in terms of getting loans, but Stafford is a government loan so I don't think a school formula can change what you get. From the three schools I ended up deciding between (all T20-30), my need-based grants were totally different: 10k, 19k, and 26k.

jrockstar80

Re: differences in need based aid among schools?

Postby jrockstar80 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:54 pm

interesting... thanks

Return to “Financial Aid”