Need Based Aid Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Miracle

Silver

Need Based Aid

Post by Miracle » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:02 pm

I would like to devote this thread to need based aid. How much did you receive, from what school, when did you find out about your award? Anything and everything that you share will be greatly appreciated. Questions are welcomed as well.

DMXdawg

New

Re: Need Based Aid

Post by DMXdawg » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Did anyone get even one cent of need based aid from T14 schools excluding HYS?

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:23 am

DMXdawg wrote:Did anyone get even one cent of need based aid from T14 schools excluding HYS?
What makes you think that doesn't happen? I think it's fairly common.

thesybarite

Bronze

Post by thesybarite » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:04 am

Miracle wrote:I would like to devote this thread to need based aid. How much did you receive, from what school, when did you find out about your award? Anything and everything that you share will be greatly appreciated. Questions are welcomed as well.
Miracle, I was under the possibly mistaken impression that Georgetown gives out lean amounts of financial aid. As Georgetown Queen...do you know, do they give need-based aid, or is it all numbers based?? Is there much of it?

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:45 am

thesybarite wrote:
Miracle wrote:I would like to devote this thread to need based aid. How much did you receive, from what school, when did you find out about your award? Anything and everything that you share will be greatly appreciated. Questions are welcomed as well.
Miracle, I was under the possibly mistaken impression that Georgetown gives out lean amounts of financial aid. As Georgetown Queen...do you know, do they give need-based aid, or is it all numbers based?? Is there much of it?

My experience:

I received $90,000 in grant money from GULC which I was told I was awarded for "mixed need and merit," then I was given an additional $30,000 in scholarship money which I was told was purely merit based. None of it has a GPA requirement.

In general, I don't think Georgetown gives a ton of aid. That information should be available in the ABA data on the school, which you can find on the LSAC website.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:48 am

DanInALionsDen wrote:
thesybarite wrote:

My experience:

I received $90,000 in grant money from GULC which I was told I was awarded for "mixed need and merit," then I was given an additional $30,000 in scholarship money which I was told was purely merit based. None of it has a GPA requirement.

In general, I don't think Georgetown gives a ton of aid. That information should be available in the ABA data on the school, which you can find on the LSAC website.
Great package. Would you mine sharing your numbers? thanks

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 am

2011Cycle wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:
thesybarite wrote:

My experience:

Great package. Would you mine sharing your numbers? thanks
They're in my profile.

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:59 am

thanks

dbshjb

New

Post by dbshjb » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:35 pm

What is the difference between grant money and scholarship?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:24 am

dbshjb wrote:What is the difference between grant money and scholarship?
financial need based v. merit based

NScott

New

Post by NScott » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
dbshjb wrote:What is the difference between grant money and scholarship?
financial need based v. merit based
Although, not all grants are based on financial need (the majority are) and not all scholarships are merit based. Grants are usually given directly from the school and often are used to waive school fees. Many scholarships are funded by outside donors.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:30 pm

Probably not very helpful, but when I was deciding where to ED, I heard a few Columbia EDs getting need based aid. Not much, but like 20-30k.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:49 pm

trudat15 wrote:Probably not very helpful, but when I was deciding where to ED, I heard a few Columbia EDs getting need based aid. Not much, but like 20-30k.
That's plenty!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dbshjb

New

Post by dbshjb » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:10 pm

Could anyone answer my questions regarding financial aid?

I know Ivey schools and some private colleges provide need-based financial aid based on parental and family information when we are undergraduates. The financial aid will be applied each year through collegeboard, and student and parents' tax returns will be submitted. The financial aid offered from the colleges and universities don't need to payback.

I would like to understand financial aid in law schools. I know some need-based aid actually is kind of loan and need be returned after graduation from law school. I am wondering which law schools provide need-based aid or grants that is the same as the undergraduate education. That means they provide free money to support the education without payback based on family situation. How much such kind of aid could be provided? Should the aid application apply each year or once for three years? Finally, is Need Access. org. the same institute as collegebaord? Because many law school request the need-based aid application through Need Access.org.

I appreciate any of your reply. Thanks.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:24 pm

dbshjb wrote:
I am wondering which law schools provide need-based aid or grants that is the same as the undergraduate education. That means they provide free money to support the education without payback based on family situation. How much such kind of aid could be provided? Should the aid application apply each year or once for three years? Finally, is Need Access. org. the same institute as collegebaord? Because many law school request the need-based aid application through Need Access.org.

NeedAccess is not the same as Collegeboard.
I don't know of ANY school that does not provide any kind of need based grant. The amount obviously varies quite a bit even for the same person from school to school. The amount of need based grants, unlike merit based, depends on your annual income so every year you have to resubmit your income info and the amount is recalculated based on that. To give you an idea of how much: I have very small family contribution (>$10K) and I got offered the following: Cal 17K, CLS $5K, NYU $5K, HLS $29K.
These are all per year and for the first year. If you get any merit based scholarships, the schools consider that as a factor in giving you need based aid. My CLS and NYU need based was low because I had merit based scholarships at both schools, around $25K/year.

dbshjb

New

Post by dbshjb » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:40 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
dbshjb wrote:
I am wondering which law schools provide need-based aid or grants that is the same as the undergraduate education. That means they provide free money to support the education without payback based on family situation. How much such kind of aid could be provided? Should the aid application apply each year or once for three years? Finally, is Need Access. org. the same institute as collegebaord? Because many law school request the need-based aid application through Need Access.org.

NeedAccess is not the same as Collegeboard.
I don't know of ANY school that does not provide any kind of need based grant. The amount obviously varies quite a bit even for the same person from school to school. The amount of need based grants, unlike merit based, depends on your annual income so every year you have to resubmit your income info and the amount is recalculated based on that. To give you an idea of how much: I have very small family contribution (>$10K) and I got offered the following: Cal 17K, CLS $5K, NYU $5K, HLS $29K.
These are all per year and for the first year. If you get any merit based scholarships, the schools consider that as a factor in giving you need based aid. My CLS and NYU need based was low because I had merit based scholarships at both schools, around $25K/year.
Thank you for your reply. So need based grants are really not much. Merit based scholarship also affects the amount of need based grants, that is interesting. How big difference of need based grants offered from law schools if parents’ annual incomes are big different, such as 50K vs. 100K vs. 200K? I know Collegeboard has an EFC calculator for undergraduates to calculate family contributions, how about law schools? What criteria does law school apply to determine the amount of grant based on family income. Where can I find Expected Family Contribution (EFC) Calculator for law school?

Thanks again for your help.

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:11 pm

Any HYS students want to share what their packages were last cycle, especially if their expected parental contribution was $0 (I'm 29+)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:25 pm

I too am interested in this. I have, I think, an EFC of ~$0 (barring me being screwed by a rather complicated ownership situation with my permanent address). Is there any chance I could get need based aid at, say, Georgetown or Cornell without having gotten any merit based aid?

WmHooper

New

Post by WmHooper » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Bumping old thread. I also have an EFC of $0 and was wondering if anyone got an unusually large amount of money because of their need. Could be the deciding factor on whether I ED somewhere or not.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:00 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:I too am interested in this. I have, I think, an EFC of ~$0 (barring me being screwed by a rather complicated ownership situation with my permanent address). Is there any chance I could get need based aid at, say, Georgetown or Cornell without having gotten any merit based aid?
Yes you can. How much? I don't know. I would love to know the answer.

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Bumping this as well. I am anticipating a 0 EFC, and would like an idea of what kind of aid I can expect.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:17 pm

URMdan wrote:Bumping this as well. I am anticipating a 0 EFC, and would like an idea of what kind of aid I can expect.
0 also. Would love to hear what someone got from T14 with 0 EFC.

Saltqjibo

Bronze

Post by Saltqjibo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Anyone know if international students qualify for need based aid?

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:42 pm

DMXdawg wrote:Did anyone get even one cent of need based aid from T14 schools excluding HYS?

yes some people did. search the finaid forums from last year. I remember reading that several people received need aid in the T-14.
Last edited by swc65 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:
URMdan wrote:Bumping this as well. I am anticipating a 0 EFC, and would like an idea of what kind of aid I can expect.
0 also. Would love to hear what someone got from T14 with 0 EFC.

EFC is generally irrelevant. The FAFSA never calculates your parents' income because you are applying to law school and therefore independent, even if you put their info on the form. Most (if not all) law schools will count your parents' info, especially for students that around the typical age of law school applicants.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”