Grants?? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Barbie

Gold

Grants??

Post by Barbie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:36 pm

How does one (I'm in UG, but for either UG or LS) qualify for a grant? or apply for one? My friend just got a free 4k for "good grades".... which really is a joke because she has a 2.9. I'm PO'd because her parents pay for all of her stuff so she's using the money to go to Paris. Since apparently money is being given away to unneedy and undeserving candidates, how would someone who could actually use this money find it?

RickyMack

New

Re: Grants??

Post by RickyMack » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:02 am

When I see the words her + undeserving and the result is getting something, i most certainly feel she did *something* to deserve what she received. although that's me being sexist and or enforcing the heterosexual normative culture because it could have just as easily been a he who had also done *something* worth deserving what he received.

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Talk to your financial aid office.

And get that chip off your shoulder.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:47 pm

RickyMack wrote:When I see the words her + undeserving and the result is getting something, i most certainly feel she did *something* to deserve what she received. although that's me being sexist and or enforcing the heterosexual normative culture because it could have just as easily been a he who had also done *something* worth deserving what he received.
lol wut???
What she did was become "independent" in the eyes of the school (from being 24 I think) even though her parents still fully financially support her. I guess independents receive pell grants because they appear broke, but aren't always?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Wait, haven't you posted elsewhere that you're getting 30k from your parents for LS? Per year?

I'm not going to scold you for wanting money on top of that 30k since I suppose we all always want as much as we can get, but you're hardly well positioned to rail against parents-assisted Pell grant receivers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:03 pm

dresden doll wrote:Wait, haven't you posted elsewhere that you're getting 30k from your parents for LS? Per year?

I'm not going to scold you for wanting money on top of that 30k since I suppose we all always want as much as we can get, but you're hardly well positioned to rail against parents-assisted Pell grant receivers.
This is in concern to my UG (my parents will help for LS, not for UG... it's weird). I'm maxed out on loans apparently because I'm a dependent theres a 30k cap, so I am struggling to pay for anything right now. I don't even have enough money for rent, and my generous boyfriend who is also really struggling is helping me out for the time being.
I just don't know why someone with a 2.6 and no need for $ gets it while there are people like me with a UGPA of 3.8 struggling their asses off. It doesn't make sense.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:07 pm

Talk to finaid, explain your situation. The departments surely differ from school to school, but I found the folks in my UG finaid office to be very helpful and accommodating when I needed a little extra help.

Also, I'm happy your parents are helping you out w/ law school, at least, because taking out more than $30k/year for undergrad is rough.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:11 pm

Barbie wrote:I just don't know why someone with a 2.6 and no need for $ gets it while there are people like me with a UGPA of 3.8 struggling their asses off. It doesn't make sense.
Well, I don't claim that's fair.

You need to talk to your Fin Aid office. TLS won't be half as helpful as they will.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:38 pm

Barbie wrote:How does one (I'm in UG, but for either UG or LS) qualify for a grant? or apply for one? My friend just got a free 4k for "good grades".... which really is a joke because she has a 2.9. I'm PO'd because her parents pay for all of her stuff so she's using the money to go to Paris. Since apparently money is being given away to unneedy and undeserving candidates, how would someone who could actually use this money find it?
Lack of forum-choice skills will damn your chances of getting a grant.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:38 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Barbie wrote:How does one (I'm in UG, but for either UG or LS) qualify for a grant? or apply for one? My friend just got a free 4k for "good grades".... which really is a joke because she has a 2.9. I'm PO'd because her parents pay for all of her stuff so she's using the money to go to Paris. Since apparently money is being given away to unneedy and undeserving candidates, how would someone who could actually use this money find it?
:(

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:43 pm

Barbie wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
If there was any justice in the world, it would damn your chance at LS acceptance. Lucky for you there is no justice.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:48 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Barbie wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
If there was any justice in the world, it would damn your chance at LS acceptance. Lucky for you there is no justice.
You made your point. Now move the F on ;)

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Barbie wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Barbie wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote: Lack of forum-choice skills will damn your chances of getting a grant.
Since you're still here, you obviously did not understand my point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:00 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Barbie wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Barbie wrote:
I do not know how to nor care enough to somehow pick up this entire thread and move it into a different forum.
Being unwilling to comply and misunderstanding are two completely different things ;)!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:03 pm

Barbie wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Barbie wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote: If there was any justice in the world, it would damn your chance at LS acceptance. Lucky for you there is no justice.
I do not know how to nor care enough to somehow pick up this entire thread and move it into a different forum.
Being unwilling to comply and misunderstanding are two completely different things ;)!
I didn't complain about the thread being here.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:05 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Barbie wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Barbie wrote:
I didn't complain about the thread being here.
Then what is your issue, sir?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:49 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”