insights into CCNMVP LRAP comparisons?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
sgtgrumbles

insights into CCNMVP LRAP comparisons?

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:05 pm

Hello all,
I won't apply until November, but based on my LSAT goal and PT results, I'm expecting to blanket the T14. Really, though, I'm hoping for CCN or decent money at MVP. Columbia, NYU, and Penn are my top choices, in that order. I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm willing to take on significant debt to attend one of the best schools I'm admitted to. While I'm not 100% sure what type of law I'd like to practice, I'm 90% sure I'll end up in the public sector. (My primary interests are human rights law, civil rights/liberties, international law, and public policy.) Thus, I'm starting to look into LRAP programs to deal with some of the debt I expect to accumulate.

Although I've looked over the TLS Guide to LRAP, there are some details I'm unsure about. First, though, I should explain my scenario. I would prefer to avoid biglaw but have not entirely ruled it out. If I go for it, I would intend to work at a big firm for about two years to gain important experience and broaden my horizons, but mostly to put a significant dent in my debt. (I've been living in NYC on ~$36k for the last two years, so I'm used to thrifty living here.) While the TLS LRAP breakdown for Columbia provides details for people who switch between private and public sector work, none of the other breakdowns for these schools do. Would a stop-off in biglaw prevent me from enrolling in LRAP for Chi., NYU, and MVP? Or could I still get repayment assistance after a couple years in a six figure job? I imagine my annual salary for the type of work I really want to do would be between $45k and $55k.

Any general thoughts on these schools' LRAP programs? People seem to think Columbia and NYU have very generous ones and Penn does not. Agree, disagree?

I'm just starting to wade into the details of financing law school, so any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by sgtgrumbles on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Re: insights into CCNMVP LRAP comparisons?

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:31 pm

This thread may help you out: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=119817.

It looks like it goes like this:
1. NYU
2. Virginia
3. Columbia
4. Chicago
5. Michigan
6. Penn

sgtgrumbles

Re: insights into CCNMVP LRAP comparisons?

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks, knock. That's just what I was looking for.

If anybody else has thoughts or concerns, please share. I'm specifically looking for advice about whether switching in and out of private sector work would affect my eligibility. I'm also curious which schools exempt government work and/or clerkships from eligibility.

Return to “Financial Aid”