How much financial aid can I expect?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
jdhopeful11

How much financial aid can I expect?

Postby jdhopeful11 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:32 am

I have always been awarded the highest financial aid during my time as an UG, with a EFC score of 0, and came out with 5k in loans per year of UG I attended (tuition + housing). Granted I was paying in-state tuition, but can I continue to expect similar contributions from financial aid for a private school? I understand that I will probably have to take out loans, but how much aid in the form of grants can I expect per year?

MBZags

Re: How much financial aid can I expect?

Postby MBZags » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:19 pm

It depends on the school. Some schools give need-based grants, others don't.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:24 pm

Except for HYS, almost all grants and scholarships are merit-based and thus will depend on your application, most notably your GPA and LSAT. If you apply to an appropriate number of "safety" schools (schools whose average GPA/LSAT are below what you have) you should get scholarship offers from at least some of them. Conversely, you might get into one or two "reach" schools (schools whose median student has a higher GPA/LSAT than you) then you'll likely get no scholarship money at all.

Because you're assumed to be able to secure a job and pay off your loans with your law degree, need based aid is typically loans.

windowshopper

Postby windowshopper » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:04 pm

I had a similar UG financial aid experience as yours. Grants and a measly scholarship (2,500/yr) footed the bill for roughly 75% of my tuition and living expenses at a state school. Don't count on receiving as much grant money as you did in undergrad. For one thing there aren't any Pell Grants for LS. I got maybe 5k in grants from my LS for the year. My EFC wasn't 0, but it was close to it. Although as someone said earlier other schools can be different. Assuming you have a decent GPA, make sure you do your absolute best on the LSAT b/c that's what will determine how much scholarship money a school will offer you.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:11 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Except for HYS, almost all grants and scholarships are merit-based and thus will depend on your application, most notably your GPA and LSAT. If you apply to an appropriate number of "safety" schools (schools whose average GPA/LSAT are below what you have) you should get scholarship offers from at least some of them. Conversely, you might get into one or two "reach" schools (schools whose median student has a higher GPA/LSAT than you) then you'll likely get no scholarship money at all.

Because you're assumed to be able to secure a job and pay off your loans with your law degree, need based aid is typically loans.

Doesn't Columbia give out need-based aid as well? I could be very wrong. Someone correct me.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:15 pm

Columbia does and so do Michigan, UCLA, and Berkeley. I actually think that many schools do, it's just not as well known of b.c. they don't give out that much, they only give it to really poor people, and people don't usually end up posting it on LSN or the like b.c. need based aid isn't given to you with your admission notice like merit aid is.

Return to “Financial Aid”