Clerkships/LRAP

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
renegade811

Clerkships/LRAP

Postby renegade811 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Anybody have any insight into why clerkships are not covered by most LRAP programs? The best I can think of is that they're seen more as stepping stones to bigger money than to careers in public interest.

Also, I'm wondering: if someone were to, after a year or two of clerking, take on a position somewhere in the public interest realm (with a salary that would normally qualify one for LRAP), can one begin getting help from a LRAP program then?

CyLaw

Re: Clerkships/LRAP

Postby CyLaw » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:45 pm

renegade811 wrote:Anybody have any insight into why clerkships are not covered by most LRAP programs? The best I can think of is that they're seen more as stepping stones to bigger money than to careers in public interest.

Also, I'm wondering: if someone were to, after a year or two of clerking, take on a position somewhere in the public interest realm (with a salary that would normally qualify one for LRAP), can one begin getting help from a LRAP program then?

The logic I have seen before is that LRAP is reserved for programs that are aimed at the public good. Most clerkships are with judges handling civil matters with most civil matters being about private matters and not primarily in the public interest.

Return to “Financial Aid”