How good is Chicago about need aid?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
trudat15

How good is Chicago about need aid?

Postby trudat15 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:07 pm

So I know with ED I may not qualify for Merit aid, but are they pretty generous with need based aid? I know I've seen on the boards here that Columbia has been generous with need based aid even to ED applicants, so was wondering how Chicago was as well?

THanks

dresden doll

Re: How good is Chicago about need aid?

Postby dresden doll » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:07 pm

I doubt they're generous with need aid.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:44 pm

dresden doll wrote:I doubt they're generous with need aid.

From experience, evidence, or just a guess?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:52 pm

trudat15 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I doubt they're generous with need aid.

From experience, evidence, or just a guess?

A guess based on their general handling of fin aid. I love my school but it isn't the most generous one out there.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:40 am

According to ABA data, 56% of Chicago students receive a scholarship or grant with a median amount of $10,800, compared to Columbia's 55% and $10,250. Of course, we don't know what percentage of those grants was need-based, but it seems like the 2 schools are pretty close.

Whatisthis

Postby Whatisthis » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:02 am

I have two dependent children, come from poor parents, have virtually no assets, and I received $0 in need aid.

FWIW, I had a well paying job at the time (though I only had the job for 1 year).

Given my experience, I would say that getting need based aid as an ED applicant is almost certainly not going to happen.

Edit: I did apply ED.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:12 am

Whatisthis wrote:I have two dependent children, come from poor parents, have virtually no assets, and I received $0 in need aid.

FWIW, I had a well paying job at the time (though I only had the job for 1 year).

Given my experience, I would say that getting need based aid as an ED applicant is almost certainly not going to happen.

Edit: I did apply ED.

Thanks for the info. I am poor, but dont have dependent children or anything like that. I guess I should prepare to pay sticker should I get in through ED

Return to “Financial Aid”