CA in-state tuition?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Edmonds4

CA in-state tuition?

Postby Edmonds4 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:08 pm

I will finish my undergrad in May through Arizona State, and next fall ('11) I will be attending UCLA, USC, or less likley UC Davis.. I just moved to San Jose (finishing at ASU online), and I'm wondering how this will affect my residency for tuition purposes. The thing is, Im still only paying in-state tuition at ASU this year. Considering that, will I not qualify for CA in-state tuition during my 1L year??

Also, what exactly do I need in order to establish residency (even if I cannot get it my first year)??

I know nothing on the subject, so any help would be truly appreciated..

Knock

Re: CA in-state tuition?

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Here you go, this should help you out:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-scho ... dency.html

For what it's worth, it lists California as an "Easy" state to establish residency.

CALIFORNIA: California is home to five of the top 50 law schools, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Hastings, and UC Davis, and UC Irvine. The good news is that unlike some states, which make it notoriously difficult for students to achieve residency, California makes in-state tuition available to students in their second year. However, there are a few caveats. First of all, the individual petitioning for residency must reside continuously in the state of California for one year. This means no spending summers back home if home is not located within Golden State. You must have been in the state for one full year prior to the first day of classes, so arrive before classes start. Students must also furnish evidence that they intend to make CA their home for the long haul, including the signing of a "long term" lease, a CA income tax return, registering to vote in CA elections, getting a CA drivers license or state ID, and/or registering your car in California. Additionally, if your parents do not live in CA, then they cannot have claimed you as a dependent on their tax returns for the year prior to your petitioning for in-state tuition (the year in which you attend school). Residency is granted when these procedures are followed, making UC law schools cheaper in their final two years.

I also found this thread discussing obtaining residency in a state for tuition purposes. Read through it, it may be helpful for your situation:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=124660&hilit=residency

Edmonds4

Postby Edmonds4 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:16 am

Okay, yeah that at least gave me some things to work on (drivers license, register to vote, etc).. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get those types of things taken care of and then just hope for the best.. Thank you for the input..

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:19 am

Edmonds4 wrote:Okay, yeah that at least gave me some things to work on (drivers license, register to vote, etc).. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get those types of things taken care of and then just hope for the best.. Thank you for the input..

Glad to help. Let me know if you have any more questions :).

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:21 am

I like how it's already a given that UC Irvine is a top 50 school 3 years before its first USNWR ranking

Return to “Financial Aid”