Play hard to get?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
northphx

Play hard to get?

Postby northphx » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:01 pm

What is the best way to get the school to give you $$? My LSAT (171) and GPA (3.88) are way above my target school's median (a T2 school). If they offer me a full-ride, I'd definitely go there. So should I play hard to get or show genuine interest? I'm afraid that if I show genuine interest, they would assume that I would go there even if they don't offer me any money. But if I play hard to get, they may not take my application seriously. Anyboby with similar experience?
Last edited by northphx on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Re: Play hard to get?

Postby MrKappus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:03 pm

A T2 is going to give $$$$$ to an applicant w/ a 171 whether you bat your eyelashes at it or not.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:06 pm

northphx wrote:What is the best way to get the school to give you $$? My LSAT (171) and GPA (3.8) are way above my target school's median (a T2 school). If they offer me a full-ride, I'd definitely go there. So should I play hard to get or show genuine interest? I'm afraid that if I show genuine interest, they would assume that I would go there even if they don't offer me any money. But if I play hard to get, they may not take my application seriously. Anyboby with similar experience?

Your numbers are so far above their 75ths that I think you should express genuine interest... If they think you're heavily considering them they'll be even more likely to offer you money.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:15 pm

northphx wrote:What is the best way to get the school to give you $$? My LSAT (171) and GPA (3.88) are way above my target school's median (a T2 school). If they offer me a full-ride, I'd definitely go there. So should I play hard to get or show genuine interest? I'm afraid that if I show genuine interest, they would assume that I would go there even if they don't offer me any money. But if I play hard to get, they may not take my application seriously. Anyboby with similar experience?

Is there a reason you are targeting a T2 school when with your numbers you can get into T14? And likely $$ from other Tier 1 schools (not to mention maybe $$ from some of the T14).

In any case, your target school should give you $$. Just dont understand why you are aiming so low.

northphx

Postby northphx » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:16 pm

trudat15 wrote:
northphx wrote:What is the best way to get the school to give you $$? My LSAT (171) and GPA (3.88) are way above my target school's median (a T2 school). If they offer me a full-ride, I'd definitely go there. So should I play hard to get or show genuine interest? I'm afraid that if I show genuine interest, they would assume that I would go there even if they don't offer me any money. But if I play hard to get, they may not take my application seriously. Anyboby with similar experience?

Is there a reason you are targeting a T2 school when with your numbers you can get into T14? And likely $$ from other Tier 1 schools (not to mention maybe $$ from some of the T14).

In any case, your target school should give you $$. Just dont understand why you are aiming so low.

I'm debt averse and don't want to make my wife relocate. She loves her job and doesn't want to move away from her family. Correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't graduating top 10% from a T2 school carry some weight too, esp in the region where the school is located? I'm making a big assumption that I would though.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:14 am

northphx wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

I'm debt averse and don't want to make my wife relocate. She loves her job and doesn't want to move away from her family. Correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't graduating top 10% from a T2 school carry some weight too, esp in the region where the school is located? I'm making a big assumption that I would though.

I have a friend who graduated from a Tier 3 at the top of his class and still got a job paying 160k+, but that was in better times. I would imagine that in this economy, that is not so much the case now. But that's a total guess.
I would imagine you might get some good money from some of the more generous schools in the t20. Especially some of the schools craving that 171 and 3.88. I would still apply broadly, esp the lower half of the T14 and some other t20 and t25 schools, and see what the options were after seeing your cycle. You never know, you may be able to use another school's money offer as leverage against the T2 school to get them to give you more money.

As far as job prospects are, I think it really depends on the school and the region where you want to practice. Be careful to just assume you will finish top 10% though. I know someone who planned on that after a particularly tough cycle and it didnt work out so well for him.

Return to “Financial Aid”