Living Within the Student Budget Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
bk1

Diamond

Re: Living Within the Student Budget

Post by bk1 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:27 pm

Ty Webb wrote:My food/misc/gas budget is $1100/month. :oops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEKEjpTzB0Q

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:30 pm

theantiscalia wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:My food/misc/gas budget is $1100/month. :oops:
Wow. I don't think I could eat that much.

In fairness, that's variable. I have an online writing job that allows me to make $1200/month with about an hour of work per day. So if I feel like working less, I could just eat less.

Sell Manilla

Bronze

Post by Sell Manilla » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:48 pm

Lots of good advice here already, just a couple cents:

Don't eat ramen or fast food or pre-packaged meals. Find a store with a great bulk food section. Get whole grains: Quinoa (cooks in 10-15 minutes & is absurdly dense in protein); Millet, long, short & wild rice; kamut; spelt; rolled oats. Then get a bunch of dried beans including at least lentils (25 mins), kidney & black beans. These are your staples and are ridiculously more cost efficient than paying for packaging/processing, especially when you factor in nutritional value & not just mass. Nuts, fruits & veggies are gonna run you more, but oh well. If you can snag a farm share with a couple others, you're golden on the veggie side. Throw in oils, vinegars & spices and you have everything you could ever want (your body will crave simple carbohydrates for a while but it'll get over itself). Don't puss out on your spices: just 'cause you're eating cheap & healthy doesn't mean it shouldn't be freaking delicious.

Don't ever go out to eat or to bars. If you're doing it right, making eggs at home should be at least 5 times better than going to a diner. Have people over to cook together & drink for evening meals. Paying for the establishment & service is just not worth it if you're on $300. If you have excess cash, use it on events that you just can't scrimp on (events etc.).

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:56 pm

Sell Manilla wrote:Lots of good advice here already, just a couple cents:

Don't eat ramen or fast food or pre-packaged meals. Find a store with a great bulk food section. Get whole grains: Quinoa (cooks in 10-15 minutes & is absurdly dense in protein); Millet, long, short & wild rice; kamut; spelt; rolled oats. Then get a bunch of dried beans including at least lentils (25 mins), kidney & black beans. These are your staples and are ridiculously more cost efficient than paying for packaging/processing, especially when you factor in nutritional value & not just mass. Nuts, fruits & veggies are gonna run you more, but oh well. If you can snag a farm share with a couple others, you're golden on the veggie side. Throw in oils, vinegars & spices and you have everything you could ever want (your body will crave simple carbohydrates for a while but it'll get over itself). Don't puss out on your spices: just 'cause you're eating cheap & healthy doesn't mean it shouldn't be freaking delicious.

Don't ever go out to eat or to bars. If you're doing it right, making eggs at home should be at least 5 times better than going to a diner. Have people over to cook together & drink for evening meals. Paying for the establishment & service is just not worth it if you're on $300. If you have excess cash, use it on events that you just can't scrimp on (events etc.).
I'd like to have a word with you:

Sell Manilla

Bronze

Post by Sell Manilla » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:00 pm

Haha. I enjoy delicious dinners as much as the next, but I had to put myself through Junior & Senior year of undergrad, & paying more than $3 for a meal was one of the first things to go. Just sayin... $300 a month.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:04 pm

Sell Manilla wrote: Don't ever go out to eat or to bars. If you're doing it right, making eggs at home should be at least 5 times better than going to a diner. Have people over to cook together & drink for evening meals. Paying for the establishment & service is just not worth it if you're on $300. If you have excess cash, use it on events that you just can't scrimp on (events etc.).
Mom and Dad will come visit eventually.

dspit

New

Post by dspit » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:06 pm

sundance95 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Also, I know you're in law school and you will be studying a ton, but keep in mind that you're still human... you'll want a couple of beers now and then or a nice meal out on the town once in a while. $300 a month does not allow for that.
--ImageRemoved--
AMERICA ROCKS!

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Sell Manilla wrote:Haha. I enjoy delicious dinners as much as the next, but I had to put myself through Junior & Senior year of undergrad, & paying more than $3 for a meal was one of the first things to go. Just sayin... $300 a month.
+1 I think anyone who has had to support themselves through college will understand you Manilla, and $300 a month just for groceries and fun is pretty generous in my view - and I got my undergrad in Cali.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:10 pm

I know that it is super hard to find but if you can get a simple part time job for just like 5 hours a week spread out that will be really beneficial. I was living on about $350 for food and entertainment in the uk (so the exchange rate made it pretty hard) but then I got a note-taking job with my school and it really helped. I know law school is super hard but if you can swing 4-5 hours just for that extra $40 a week it could probably be really helpful.

Make sure that your friends are in the same boat as you though, one night out keeping up with other kids can really set you back.

Buy beer or canned stuff when it's on sale, you know that you will use it later and if you can get it.

Or you could always go freegan (i knew some kids who had a very um active social life because they didn't spend any money on food)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TaxLaw2010

New

Post by TaxLaw2010 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:48 pm

Have you considered signing up to substitute teach one day a week on your off day? Some school districts pay $150 per day. All you need is a substitute teaching certificate, which is readily attainable with a bachelor's degree. You basically babysit some kids for 5 hours, following the regular teacher's lesson plan for the day. You get a study period, and then at 2:30 pm, you get to go home. Not a bad deal if you asked me. If you average 2-3 days a month, that's an extra $300 to $450 per month. I think it's worth looking into. I may do something like that, especially during the break. Most schools are still in session after fall semester finals, but the need for substitute teachers may still be there, allowing you to make some nice cash right around Christmas, and right before spring semester starts up in mid January.

Just my 2 cents.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:37 pm

While credited, this assumes culinary skills beyond the ability to push the buttons on the microwave or to boil water.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:40 pm

In undergrad, i learned to live on a budget, so it'll be easy to do in law school, where i will actually have more money for living expenses then i was granted in undergrad.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:26 am

TaxLaw2010 wrote:Have you considered signing up to substitute teach one day a week on your off day? Some school districts pay $150 per day. All you need is a substitute teaching certificate, which is readily attainable with a bachelor's degree. You basically babysit some kids for 5 hours, following the regular teacher's lesson plan for the day. You get a study period, and then at 2:30 pm, you get to go home. Not a bad deal if you asked me. If you average 2-3 days a month, that's an extra $300 to $450 per month. I think it's worth looking into. I may do something like that, especially during the break. Most schools are still in session after fall semester finals, but the need for substitute teachers may still be there, allowing you to make some nice cash right around Christmas, and right before spring semester starts up in mid January.

Just my 2 cents.
How would the OP do this during law school? At most, he'd have 1 free day a week (if he's lucky), and no school district is going to put you on a sub list with a schedule that limited. OP is also in Indiana. There is no way a substitute teaching job pays that much there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:42 am

worldtraveler wrote:
How would the OP do this during law school? At most, he'd have 1 free day a week (if he's lucky), and no school district is going to put you on a sub list with a schedule that limited. OP is also in Indiana. There is no way a substitute teaching job pays that much there.
It would probably be closer to $100, and maybe $80 for rural towns. I know a lot of small-towns have trouble finding subs (at least where I'm at), so he may be able to find something once a week. But all of this supposes that OP will have a free day, which appears far from certain.

edit: quote fail
Last edited by romothesavior on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:51 am

Skip Dinner. Drink Beer.

A glass of beer has lots of great nutrients, vitamins and minerals:
•Calories: 153
•Protein: 1.64 g
•Carbohydrates: 12.64 g
•Calcium: 14 mg
•Magnesium: 21 mg
•Phosphorus: 50 mg
•Potassium: 96 mg
•Sodium: 14 mg
•Zinc: 0.04 mg
•Thiamin: 0.018 mg
•Riboflavin: 0.089 mg
•Niacin: 1.826 mg
•Pantothenic Acid: 0.146 mg
•Vitamin B6: 0.164 mg

Hell, skip Breakfast and Lunch too.

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:19 am

Total Litigator wrote:Skip Dinner. Drink Beer.

A glass of beer has lots of great nutrients, vitamins and minerals:
•Calories: 153
•Protein: 1.64 g
•Carbohydrates: 12.64 g
•Calcium: 14 mg
•Magnesium: 21 mg
•Phosphorus: 50 mg
•Potassium: 96 mg
•Sodium: 14 mg
•Zinc: 0.04 mg
•Thiamin: 0.018 mg
•Riboflavin: 0.089 mg
•Niacin: 1.826 mg
•Pantothenic Acid: 0.146 mg
•Vitamin B6: 0.164 mg

Hell, skip Breakfast and Lunch too.
I've tried this. It doesn't work as well as you would think.

TaxLaw2010

New

Post by TaxLaw2010 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
It would probably be closer to $100, and maybe $80 for rural towns. I know a lot of small-towns have trouble finding subs (at least where I'm at), so he may be able to find something once a week. But all of this supposes that OP will have a free day, which appears far from certain.

@ Worldtraveler - The OP could just suck it up and work, that's how. . . it's one friggin' day! It is not that hard. There are plenty of school districts that would put you on a sub list with a limited schedule. . . I should know, because I served on a school board and also used to work at a school district and was responsible for substitute teacher assignments. We used to assign people with limited schedules (i.e one to two days a week) for substitute teaching spots all the time. If the OP can't work one day a week for a few hours at one of the easiest jobs, how on earth is the OP going to put in 80-100 hour work weeks at a firm, when they also have all kinds of continuing education requirements, training seminars, etc. to attend?! Substitute teaching a bunch of grade school kids for five or six hours a day for one day is not the end of the world! If the OP doesn't want to do that, then eat ramen or poke and grit!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:15 am

TaxLaw2010 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

@ Worldtraveler - The OP could just suck it up and work, that's how. . . it's one friggin' day! It is not that hard. There are plenty of school districts that would put you on a sub list with a limited schedule. . . I should know, because I served on a school board and also used to work at a school district and was responsible for substitute teacher assignments. We used to assign people with limited schedules (i.e one to two days a week) for substitute teaching spots all the time. If the OP can't work one day a week for a few hours at one of the easiest jobs, how on earth is the OP going to put in 80-100 hour work weeks at a firm, when they also have all kinds of continuing education requirements, training seminars, etc. to attend?! Substitute teaching a bunch of grade school kids for five or six hours a day for one day is not the end of the world! If the OP doesn't want to do that, then eat ramen or poke and grit!
You are aware that law school students have class during the day, right?

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Can I learn how to cook from you?

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:39 pm

kazu wrote:

Can I learn how to cook from you?
Made a thread for this:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=126325

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:53 pm

Wow...I have over $2,000 each month for the entirety of both semesters at GWU. And that's without tapping into savings at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:03 pm

I'm going to be in a situation similar to the OP, although with more money per month & living in a more expensive city. I'm more concerned about the lifestyle changes I'm going to have to make in order to live on this kind of budget (i.e., no going out all the time/eating out/clothes shopping/shopping at Whole Foods), but it's definitely doable. I'm concerned about having money to get by next summer, but I guess that's just a bridge I'm going to have to cross when I get there.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:03 pm

Always Credited wrote:Wow...I have over $2,000 each month for the entirety of both semesters at GWU. And that's without tapping into savings at all.
Congratulations. And thank you for this incredibly helpful post.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Always Credited wrote:Wow...I have over $2,000 each month for the entirety of both semesters at GWU. And that's without tapping into savings at all.
Congratulations. And thank you for this incredibly helpful post.
No need for attitude. I was simply surprised at the budget disparity that can occur between two (apparently) different schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”