How much rent money do you claim for financial aid?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
SmellyVeinyMonster

How much rent money do you claim for financial aid?

Postby SmellyVeinyMonster » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:06 pm

I claimed just a little over my actual rent including utilities minus food. That amount is $1,200.00 monthly. My actual rent including some utilities,but not including food is going to range anywhere from $845.00 to $1,045.00 monthly. Should I have claimed a larger financial expense for rent on my financial aid -- possibly $1,500 -$1,900?

For now, my financial aid package, when tuition is deducted, does not allow me to meet the income requirement for a lot of places, and I have to rent with a co-signer. Had I claimed a larger amount of rent, I'd be able to rent on my own.

aPosseAdEsse

Re: How much rent money do you claim for financial aid?

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:15 pm

It is my understanding that most schools (including mine) calculate your estimated living expenses for the year and then offer you an aid package based on that calculation, without your input on what costs what.

Your school does this differently?

SmellyVeinyMonster

Re: How much rent money do you claim for financial aid?

Postby SmellyVeinyMonster » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:27 pm

aPosseAdEsse wrote:It is my understanding that most schools (including mine) calculate your estimated living expenses for the year and then offer you an aid package based on that calculation, without your input on what costs what.

Your school does this differently?

I was asked to itemize my rent and other future expenses before I received any financial aid awards. Once I received the financial aid packet, I saw that they used my figure of $1,200 for my actual rent. Not sure if this is by coincidence or if they used my amount.

I do know that I borrowed less than the average amount of aid (including a scholarship) and I was not trying to borrow less -- it just happened.

Return to “Financial Aid”