Your school has a financial aid office -- give them a call

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
andreea7

Your school has a financial aid office -- give them a call

Postby andreea7 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:54 am

I am surprised how many people seem to rely on TLS to receive answers about the financial aid process -- this is school specific. Whoever you are, do yourself a favor and first call your school's financial aid office. What they tell you is what it is seeing as they call the shots.

kalvano

Re: Your school has a financial aid office -- give them a call

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:25 pm

No. I prefer anecdotal stories and wild speculation.

andreea7

Postby andreea7 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:48 pm

kalvano wrote:No. I prefer anecdotal stories and wild speculation.

Haha. Yeah, better stuff to take to the bank.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:56 pm

tried both calling and emailing. simple question whether or not EFC would affect the amount I would receive. One call and three emails, not a single helpful (or even relevant) answer. Now I don't trust anything they say. I think I found the answer after some internet searching, but who knows.

Now they're telling me that if they have my fafsa (which they do) I don't have to do anything about student loans until mid-late august. I'm having a lot of trouble believing that's true. I know every school does things differently, but seem really late.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:57 pm

Geist13 wrote:tried both calling and emailing. simple question whether or not EFC would affect the amount I would receive. One call and three emails, not a single helpful (or even relevant) answer. Now I don't trust anything they say. I think I found the answer after some internet searching, but who knows.

Now they're telling me that if they have my fafsa (which they do) I don't have to do anything about student loans until mid-late august. I'm having a lot of trouble believing that's true. I know every school does things differently, but seem really late.

What school?

tadams86

Postby tadams86 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:58 pm

Geist13 wrote:tried both calling and emailing. simple question whether or not EFC would affect the amount I would receive. One call and three emails, not a single helpful (or even relevant) answer. Now I don't trust anything they say. I think I found the answer after some internet searching, but who knows.

Called my school today, and they told me the same thing. As long as my entrance counseling was completed, then I should be able to apply in late july. I questioned her, but she reassured me that it was ok. Also, have a friend that is going to be a 2L at a different school, and hasnt heard shit about the upcoming year. Guess I'll wait.

andreea7

Postby andreea7 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:37 pm

That sucks, but even so not much to do because it's the school's game. If you are worried about Grad Plus approval because of credit issues, etc., you could call the department of education and ask some questions.

Columbia, which has a helpful financial aid office, just told me to sit tight until they gather all the files and then they start certifying them. Which has me worried because I will be out of the country soon. But it is what it is I guess.

Return to “Financial Aid”