LRAP and private loans Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
apropos

New

LRAP and private loans

Post by apropos » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:29 pm

Hi everyone. I've been searching around for information on LRAP loans, but I'm hoping some of you might be able to give me the gist of the thing as I look at a bunch of schools's sometimes helpful information. Do any LRAP programs apply to private loans (not gradplus or federal). I want to keep my options open for public interest, but I'm Canadian and will have to go through private funding sources for US schools. It seems the vast majority of LRAP programs dont cover private loans, but are there exceptions? I'll pretty much have to get much of my loans through Canadian banks and Canadian loan programs. I also have the option of waiting a year to apply. My girlfriend (American) and I plan on going through the visa stuff in the next year or so. So I'd have perm. residency a year later. Anyways, any input would be great. It's starting to seem I'd be best off just waiting so all my loans will fall into the scope. But perhaps there's another way.

Billy Blanks

Bronze

Re: LRAP and private loans

Post by Billy Blanks » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:35 pm

As far as I can tell LRAP is for government loans only. It seems unfair, but I think you should wait a year.

andreea7

Bronze

Re: LRAP and private loans

Post by andreea7 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:51 am

apropos wrote:Hi everyone. I've been searching around for information on LRAP loans, but I'm hoping some of you might be able to give me the gist of the thing as I look at a bunch of schools's sometimes helpful information. Do any LRAP programs apply to private loans (not gradplus or federal). I want to keep my options open for public interest, but I'm Canadian and will have to go through private funding sources for US schools. It seems the vast majority of LRAP programs dont cover private loans, but are there exceptions? I'll pretty much have to get much of my loans through Canadian banks and Canadian loan programs. I also have the option of waiting a year to apply. My girlfriend (American) and I plan on going through the visa stuff in the next year or so. So I'd have perm. residency a year later. Anyways, any input would be great. It's starting to seem I'd be best off just waiting so all my loans will fall into the scope. But perhaps there's another way.
I believe the main requirement is that it is a STUDENT loan as opposed to any other kind of private loan. Call the schools you are interested in and ask, don't rely on general info on this board because each school has a different rule.

Return to “Financial Aid”