More money needed than COA Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Amusei

New

Re: More money needed than COA

Post by Amusei » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:43 am

Wow. That was definitely an interesting read. Thanks for all that.

COA: $63,830
Money Needed: $69,399

I mean, I need effing furniture. I'm getting it all second-hand and for a stupid cheap price, but it's still about $1,000. Do I need internet? I'm assuming so, if I don't want to write essays/do whatever, around loads of people. All the other stuff is basics, like food and soap. The problem is the four months of rent every year that isn't covered in the COA. Am I really going to be able to get a job to cover that?
Agreed. However, if you can fit in a summer class, you can borrow COA money for that, too. That helps quite a bit, but it really depends on whether you're going to be spending your summer near your school.
Extremely helpful. I contacted the FinAid department and they explained I can do part-time during the summer and work so I'll be able to save up some money. I guess I won't be returning home during the summer, though :(
From the research I've done, the only lender still offering this type of loan is Wells Fargo. And you'll need a cosigner.
Perfect. Thank you!

And my school hinted that there was money available to buy a computer ($1200) but that "you don't have to show any sort of receipt, so . . . you know."

TaxLaw2010

New

Re: More money needed than COA

Post by TaxLaw2010 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:15 am

I am in a similar situation, and I called my law school's financial aid office. They sent me a Budget Appeal request form to fill out. I spoke with the fin. aid office, and they said that as long as the appeal was for a legitimate increase then it would be approved. The form required documentation of the expenses (ie. receipts, copies of bills, mortgage documents, etc.). Once I sent in the form, I received a letter from the fin. aid office confirming receipt, and indicating that I would have an answer within 7 to 10 business days.

So in short, it appears that an increase to the COA can be done. Upon doing some research on my own, I have found that law schools have the latitude to increase the COA for students who have families, mortgages, etc. The only thing they will not include in the COA is a car note, which I don't have, because both of my cars are owned free and clear.

Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”