BLS are you KIDDING me?!?! Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
goosey

Gold

BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Post by goosey » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:31 pm

new cost of attendance is almost 70k! they raised tuition to almost 47k and now my full scholarship is no longer full.

slightly irritated. only because after all calculations are said and done I will be paying 5k a yr out of pocket, which isnt so bad overall, but I gave up a school ranked about 30 spots higher because bls would be free.

that tuition is insanity

minuit

Silver

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Post by minuit » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:40 pm

that really is insanity... if they gave you a full ride, aren't they obligated to give you a full ride, no matter tuition increases??

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:41 pm

minuit wrote:that really is insanity... if they gave you a full ride, aren't they obligated to give you a full ride, no matter tuition increases??
Law schools just give you x amount of money.

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:49 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:50 pm

minuit wrote:that really is insanity... if they gave you a full ride, aren't they obligated to give you a full ride, no matter tuition increases??
It should, shouldn't it..in principle, atleast. My award letter email said X amount, which will cover full tuition. That included books and tuition, which was the sole reason I decided on brooklyn over the other school. Money was my biggest issue.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:55 pm

goosey wrote:
It should, shouldn't it..in principle, atleast. My award letter email said X amount, which will cover full tuition. That included books and tuition, which was the sole reason I decided on brooklyn over the other school. Money was my biggest issue.
Have you called and talked to them?

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:56 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
goosey wrote:
+1 although I doubt they'll do anything. Did you do well? That may help leverage some cash.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:57 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
goosey wrote:
+1 although I doubt they'll do anything. Did you do well? That may help leverage some cash.

not yet, Ill go in an talk to them in person. And I'm an 0L, so no grades as yet

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:01 pm

Sorry (reading comp fail). But this makes your argument stronger. I'd be furious as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:04 pm

goosey wrote:
If your letter actually stated that the $ amount listed would cover full tuition, that should certainly help your argument.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:06 pm

They wrote a letter that said your scholarship would cover full tuition and then raised tuition so it doesn't? How did they notify you of the new expenses? I just checked the website, still says 44k/66k total cost.

Anyway, I'd go ballistic on them. Who the hell offers a full scholarship for last year? We all know tuition always goes up.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:08 pm

That sucks, man. Calling or stopping by definitely sounds like the right response.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:12 pm

creamedcats wrote:They wrote a letter that said your scholarship would cover full tuition and then raised tuition so it doesn't? How did they notify you of the new expenses? I just checked the website, still says 44k/66k total cost.

Anyway, I'd go ballistic on them. Who the hell offers a full scholarship for last year? We all know tuition always goes up.

they didnt, I was on the website and saw "2010-2011 cost of attendance now up" and I looked at it and my jaw dropped.

Im going to try and talk to them. They email said "ur award is X, which will cover full tuition" so I mean...hopefully that helps. But everyone knows its almost July...and they really dont need to give me more money for me to attend at this point. But it will be royally messed up if theyre like "oops, sorry!"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:24 pm

RPK34 wrote:
Law schools just give you x amount of money.
Sometimes, yes (which must have happened here). But some schools will offer full tuition scholarships and promise to cover the students' tuition regardless of price increases.

OP: Bummer, dude. :? Oh well, the other school probably raised their prices as well.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:42 pm

Only if they say it's a full ride or if they specify that it will scale with cost of attendance.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Not to kick you while you are down, but this is why you get them to explicitly say, "This is a full-tuition scholarship guaranteed for all three years." You may have gotten them to agree to this back when you still had leverage. I was able to get UIUC to up mine to full tuition guaranteed.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:50 pm

Tuition keeps going up...biglaw associate positions...and shitlaw salaries keep going down...number of people matriculating to law school at reccord highs. Nope...don't see any problems here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:56 pm

MTal wrote:Tuition keeps going up...biglaw associate positions...and shitlaw salaries keep going down...number of people matriculating to law school at reccord highs. Nope...don't see any problems here.
Why do you care if people are potentially screwing themselves?

People on TLS for the most part already know the drill.

Barring some amazing scholarship to HYS- MVP- CCN, we're going to be crazy in debt for the rest of our lives, and grateful for some crappy ambulance-chasing job, where we will be lucky to push 40k.

Everyone in the world will get to declare bankruptcy, but we'll still be saddled with our loans.

Now why do we have to hear about it on EVERY topic?

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:01 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:54 am

goosey wrote:new cost of attendance is almost 70k! they raised tuition to almost 47k and now my full scholarship is no longer full.

slightly irritated. only because after all calculations are said and done I will be paying 5k a yr out of pocket, which isnt so bad overall, but I gave up a school ranked about 30 spots higher because bls would be free.

that tuition is insanity
I'm in the same boat. Pretty ridiculous, BLS. I'm especially pissed that their tuition is higher than Fordham's. How does that make sense?

See you in August, Goosey.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:22 pm

HazelEyes wrote:
MTal wrote:Tuition keeps going up...biglaw associate positions...and shitlaw salaries keep going down...number of people matriculating to law school at reccord highs. Nope...don't see any problems here.
When the hugely indebted student loan losers start whining about how they were "tricked" into taking out massive loans...who do you think is going to be bailing them out?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:26 pm

HazelEyes wrote:HYS- MVP- CCN
Just wanted to say I like the way you order things. :D

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:30 pm

MTal wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:
When the hugely indebted student loan losers start whining about how they were "tricked" into taking out massive loans...who do you think is going to be bailing them out?
The Series 7/63 certified accountants apparently?

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:41 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
MTal wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:
The Series 7/63 certified accountants apparently?
Point taken, but lulz at "series 7/63 accountants".

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:49 am

sophistry wrote:
goosey wrote:new cost of attendance is almost 70k! they raised tuition to almost 47k and now my full scholarship is no longer full.

that tuition is insanity
I'm in the same boat. Pretty ridiculous, BLS. I'm especially pissed that their tuition is higher than Fordham's. How does that make sense?

See you in August, Goosey.

are u going to try talking to them?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”