BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby goosey » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:31 pm

new cost of attendance is almost 70k! they raised tuition to almost 47k and now my full scholarship is no longer full.

slightly irritated. only because after all calculations are said and done I will be paying 5k a yr out of pocket, which isnt so bad overall, but I gave up a school ranked about 30 spots higher because bls would be free.

that tuition is insanity

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby minuit » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:40 pm

that really is insanity... if they gave you a full ride, aren't they obligated to give you a full ride, no matter tuition increases??

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby RPK34 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:41 pm

minuit wrote:that really is insanity... if they gave you a full ride, aren't they obligated to give you a full ride, no matter tuition increases??


Law schools just give you x amount of money.

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby dvd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:49 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby goosey » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:50 pm

minuit wrote:that really is insanity... if they gave you a full ride, aren't they obligated to give you a full ride, no matter tuition increases??


It should, shouldn't it..in principle, atleast. My award letter email said X amount, which will cover full tuition. That included books and tuition, which was the sole reason I decided on brooklyn over the other school. Money was my biggest issue.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:55 pm

goosey wrote:
minuit wrote:that really is insanity... if they gave you a full ride, aren't they obligated to give you a full ride, no matter tuition increases??


It should, shouldn't it..in principle, atleast. My award letter email said X amount, which will cover full tuition. That included books and tuition, which was the sole reason I decided on brooklyn over the other school. Money was my biggest issue.

Have you called and talked to them?

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby megaTTTron » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:56 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
goosey wrote:
minuit wrote:that really is insanity... if they gave you a full ride, aren't they obligated to give you a full ride, no matter tuition increases??


It should, shouldn't it..in principle, atleast. My award letter email said X amount, which will cover full tuition. That included books and tuition, which was the sole reason I decided on brooklyn over the other school. Money was my biggest issue.

Have you called and talked to them?


+1 although I doubt they'll do anything. Did you do well? That may help leverage some cash.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby goosey » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:57 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
goosey wrote:
minuit wrote:that really is insanity... if they gave you a full ride, aren't they obligated to give you a full ride, no matter tuition increases??


It should, shouldn't it..in principle, atleast. My award letter email said X amount, which will cover full tuition. That included books and tuition, which was the sole reason I decided on brooklyn over the other school. Money was my biggest issue.

Have you called and talked to them?


+1 although I doubt they'll do anything. Did you do well? That may help leverage some cash.



not yet, Ill go in an talk to them in person. And I'm an 0L, so no grades as yet

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby megaTTTron » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:01 pm

Sorry (reading comp fail). But this makes your argument stronger. I'd be furious as well.

User avatar
badpixie
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby badpixie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:04 pm

goosey wrote:
minuit wrote:that really is insanity... if they gave you a full ride, aren't they obligated to give you a full ride, no matter tuition increases??


It should, shouldn't it..in principle, atleast. My award letter email said X amount, which will cover full tuition. That included books and tuition, which was the sole reason I decided on brooklyn over the other school. Money was my biggest issue.


If your letter actually stated that the $ amount listed would cover full tuition, that should certainly help your argument.

User avatar
creamedcats
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 am

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby creamedcats » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:06 pm

They wrote a letter that said your scholarship would cover full tuition and then raised tuition so it doesn't? How did they notify you of the new expenses? I just checked the website, still says 44k/66k total cost.

Anyway, I'd go ballistic on them. Who the hell offers a full scholarship for last year? We all know tuition always goes up.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Image

That sucks, man. Calling or stopping by definitely sounds like the right response.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby goosey » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:12 pm

creamedcats wrote:They wrote a letter that said your scholarship would cover full tuition and then raised tuition so it doesn't? How did they notify you of the new expenses? I just checked the website, still says 44k/66k total cost.

Anyway, I'd go ballistic on them. Who the hell offers a full scholarship for last year? We all know tuition always goes up.



they didnt, I was on the website and saw "2010-2011 cost of attendance now up" and I looked at it and my jaw dropped.

Im going to try and talk to them. They email said "ur award is X, which will cover full tuition" so I mean...hopefully that helps. But everyone knows its almost July...and they really dont need to give me more money for me to attend at this point. But it will be royally messed up if theyre like "oops, sorry!"

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:24 pm

RPK34 wrote:
minuit wrote:that really is insanity... if they gave you a full ride, aren't they obligated to give you a full ride, no matter tuition increases??


Law schools just give you x amount of money.


Sometimes, yes (which must have happened here). But some schools will offer full tuition scholarships and promise to cover the students' tuition regardless of price increases.

OP: Bummer, dude. :? Oh well, the other school probably raised their prices as well.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:42 pm

minuit wrote:that really is insanity... if they gave you a full ride, aren't they obligated to give you a full ride, no matter tuition increases??

Only if they say it's a full ride or if they specify that it will scale with cost of attendance.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Not to kick you while you are down, but this is why you get them to explicitly say, "This is a full-tuition scholarship guaranteed for all three years." You may have gotten them to agree to this back when you still had leverage. I was able to get UIUC to up mine to full tuition guaranteed.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby MTal » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:50 pm

Tuition keeps going up...biglaw associate positions...and shitlaw salaries keep going down...number of people matriculating to law school at reccord highs. Nope...don't see any problems here.

User avatar
HazelEyes
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby HazelEyes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:56 pm

MTal wrote:Tuition keeps going up...biglaw associate positions...and shitlaw salaries keep going down...number of people matriculating to law school at reccord highs. Nope...don't see any problems here.


Why do you care if people are potentially screwing themselves?

People on TLS for the most part already know the drill.

Barring some amazing scholarship to HYS- MVP- CCN, we're going to be crazy in debt for the rest of our lives, and grateful for some crappy ambulance-chasing job, where we will be lucky to push 40k.

Everyone in the world will get to declare bankruptcy, but we'll still be saddled with our loans.

Now why do we have to hear about it on EVERY topic?

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby dvd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:01 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sophistry
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby sophistry » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:54 am

goosey wrote:new cost of attendance is almost 70k! they raised tuition to almost 47k and now my full scholarship is no longer full.

slightly irritated. only because after all calculations are said and done I will be paying 5k a yr out of pocket, which isnt so bad overall, but I gave up a school ranked about 30 spots higher because bls would be free.

that tuition is insanity


I'm in the same boat. Pretty ridiculous, BLS. I'm especially pissed that their tuition is higher than Fordham's. How does that make sense?

See you in August, Goosey.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby MTal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:22 pm

HazelEyes wrote:
MTal wrote:Tuition keeps going up...biglaw associate positions...and shitlaw salaries keep going down...number of people matriculating to law school at reccord highs. Nope...don't see any problems here.


Why do you care if people are potentially screwing themselves?



When the hugely indebted student loan losers start whining about how they were "tricked" into taking out massive loans...who do you think is going to be bailing them out?

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby holydonkey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:26 pm

HazelEyes wrote:HYS- MVP- CCN
Just wanted to say I like the way you order things. :D

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:30 pm

MTal wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:
MTal wrote:Tuition keeps going up...biglaw associate positions...and shitlaw salaries keep going down...number of people matriculating to law school at reccord highs. Nope...don't see any problems here.


Why do you care if people are potentially screwing themselves?



When the hugely indebted student loan losers start whining about how they were "tricked" into taking out massive loans...who do you think is going to be bailing them out?

The Series 7/63 certified accountants apparently?

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby Flanker1067 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:41 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
MTal wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:
MTal wrote:Tuition keeps going up...biglaw associate positions...and shitlaw salaries keep going down...number of people matriculating to law school at reccord highs. Nope...don't see any problems here.


Why do you care if people are potentially screwing themselves?



When the hugely indebted student loan losers start whining about how they were "tricked" into taking out massive loans...who do you think is going to be bailing them out?

The Series 7/63 certified accountants apparently?


Point taken, but lulz at "series 7/63 accountants".

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: BLS are you KIDDING me?!?!

Postby goosey » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:49 am

sophistry wrote:
goosey wrote:new cost of attendance is almost 70k! they raised tuition to almost 47k and now my full scholarship is no longer full.

slightly irritated. only because after all calculations are said and done I will be paying 5k a yr out of pocket, which isnt so bad overall, but I gave up a school ranked about 30 spots higher because bls would be free.

that tuition is insanity


I'm in the same boat. Pretty ridiculous, BLS. I'm especially pissed that their tuition is higher than Fordham's. How does that make sense?

See you in August, Goosey.



are u going to try talking to them?




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mr. Bubbles and 2 guests