question about leveraging possible transfer to get $

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
BunkMoreland

question about leveraging possible transfer to get $

Postby BunkMoreland » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:27 pm

I was curious to hear from anyone what exactly the process is, or whether who I've heard this from is just full of baloney. The theory goes that if you do well enough 1L to transfer far up, then you can purportedly leverage that possibility to gain greater scholarship money from your current school.

Is this a viable strategy (especially in this economy), or is it just a bunch of crap?

Re: question about leveraging possible transfer to get $

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:35 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:I was curious to hear from anyone what exactly the process is, or whether who I've heard this from is just full of baloney. The theory goes that if you do well enough 1L to transfer far up, then you can purportedly leverage that possibility to gain greater scholarship money from your current school.

Is this a viable strategy (especially in this economy), or is it just a bunch of crap?

Edit: saw your post in the Irrational fears thread.

With your gpa you should be able to leverage quite a bit of money out of your school, if not just land some stellar acceptances.

Good luck!

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:57 pm

Thanks dude. I'm actually not sure whether or not I want to transfer out, given that I love the school I'm at, and I've missed law review comps for better schools. But that won't stop me from pretending to be doing so if the consensus is that I can get some money that I desperately need out of it.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:38 am

I was told this by someone as well. It's totally genius.

Using this example: If I file transfer apps with Northwestern and UChi, and get into both, probably at sticker, I could leverage WAY up moolah-wise at DePaul. Chances are, since I need the money, and I would be kicking ass at DePaul if I did well enough to get into Northwestern and UChi, I'd stay at DePaul with my increased free dinero and rock everyone else's asses at OCI.

Now, if this scenario occurred, and Northwestern or Chicago offered me some kind of scholly, THEN I'd have one hell of a tough decision on my hands. :lol:

el_jugador

Postby el_jugador » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:26 pm

Any success stories?

dvd

Postby dvd » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:50 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:03 pm

well, I talked to my school today and brought up the transfers; they told me they would not be doing any more scholarship $. Kinda pissed, I'm like top 5 or better, and they just scoffed it off...

el_jugador

Postby el_jugador » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:03 pm

Well at least you tried. I'm going to do the same.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:06 pm

let me know how it goes

dukelawguy144

Postby dukelawguy144 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:09 pm

I heard a girl at UM who placed at the top 10% of her class got an extra 15k a year to stay. Lower tier schools probably desperately want their best students to stay and make a better name for their school

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:10 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:well, I talked to my school today and brought up the transfers; they told me they would not be doing any more scholarship $. Kinda pissed, I'm like top 5 or better, and they just scoffed it off...

Enjoy your new school! :D

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:14 pm

Don't bring up the subject of increased funding to keep you until you have an actual acceptance to another higher ranked law school. Your present school will know of your transfer attempt when they are requested to send out the transcript & certificate of good standing.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:20 pm

I'm hoping that I so blow my 1L year out of the water, that I will actually get money from the transfer schools I apply to, therefore a) making transfer to a T14 a logical possibility financially, and b) making the lucrative offers to stay that much larger. A girl can dream, right? :mrgreen:

Return to “Financial Aid”