GradPlus-Induced Panic Attack Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
chicagolaw2013

Silver

Re: GradPlus-Induced Panic Attack

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:44 pm

IAFG wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
Investing in a Macbook. Well worth the extra bit I'm taking out for it.
:| :? computers aren't investments
You make a point.

Changing my wording: I want a computer that is less prone to crashing. My iMac that I had during UG was phenomenal. The laptop I've had since about a year ago is a piece of garbage and I hate it. Going back to Mac, and feel that it is worth the money.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:06 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:

A 500 dollar Dell should be your limit.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:

That's what I have right now...soooo glitchy it's painful. To answer that other poster as well, it doesn't just freeze, I'll be in the middle of typing something and it will somehow highlight and delete part of what I'm writing. I try to save often, but I don't want to be in the middle of typing up an outline or an assignment and get a whole bunch of stuff deleted.

I thought it was just mine, but the fiance has almost the same exact one for work (company-given) and it does the same thing to him. Don't know if it's a Dell thing or an IBM compatible thing, but it pisses me off. My sanity will be saved without that glitchiness.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:15 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:

That's what I have right now...soooo glitchy it's painful. To answer that other poster as well, it doesn't just freeze, I'll be in the middle of typing something and it will somehow highlight and delete part of what I'm writing. I try to save often, but I don't want to be in the middle of typing up an outline or an assignment and get a whole bunch of stuff deleted.

I thought it was just mine, but the fiance has almost the same exact one for work (company-given) and it does the same thing to him. Don't know if it's a Dell thing or an IBM compatible thing, but it pisses me off. My sanity will be saved without that glitchiness.
Dell and Apple have very similar failure rates. Notice that nerdy engineers who know all about technology don't flock to Apple. That should tell you they aren't inherently superior.

How old is your laptop?

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:

Dell and Apple have very similar failure rates. Notice that nerdy engineers who know all about technology don't flock to Apple. That should tell you they aren't inherently superior.

How old is your laptop?
About a year...I've had problems with it pretty much since I got it. It was a gift from the future mom-in-law...she got it for me when my iMac finally crapped out after years and years. It is a really cheap POS. Was the cheapest Dell she could find, on sale. She only got this one because it was on sale, and there must have been a reason it was on sale. Ugh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:37 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
About a year...I've had problems with it pretty much since I got it. It was a gift from the future mom-in-law...she got it for me when my iMac finally crapped out after years and years. It is a really cheap POS. Was the cheapest Dell she could find, on sale. She only got this one because it was on sale, and there must have been a reason it was on sale. Ugh.
Have it reformated, and keep it. You don't have money to blow for an expensive laptop.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
Have it reformated, and keep it. You don't have money to blow for an expensive laptop.
go do it for her, as a fellow chicagoan

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:53 pm

I'll give the reformat a try, I hope it works. That'll be less money spent that I can perhaps send back to them so I don't incur interest on that amount.

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Don't know why people go with Macs, all you are doing is paying for the marketing. At peer price points to other laptops, Macs have the inferior hardware.

It's also funny how it is always people who don't know much about computers that have problems with microsoft-based pc's. I've had my Dell for 4 years and have yet to experience an issue.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”