GradPlus-Induced Panic Attack Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
IAFG

Platinum

Re: GradPlus-Induced Panic Attack

Post by IAFG » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
MTal wrote:As a series 7/63 licensed broker, I can tell you that reading this thread is like watching a financial train wreck occuring in slow motion.
Just curious, would your parents sign for you if you had asked them? Put all the negativity against law school aside. In fact, pretend it was for some kind of engineering degree, would you have asked and do you think they would have?

I know Dave Ramsey is very anti co-sign.... but if my daughter (she's 5 now, so I have time) asked, I don't know if I could ever say no.
if she needs a co-signor i would think long and hard... the bar is pretty low

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:44 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote: Just curious, would your parents sign for you if you had asked them? Put all the negativity against law school aside. In fact, pretend it was for some kind of engineering degree, would you have asked and do you think they would have?

I know Dave Ramsey is very anti co-sign.... but if my daughter (she's 5 now, so I have time) asked, I don't know if I could ever say no.
you never know.. if she grows up to be as miserable and bitter as Mtal you might at least think twice..
TBF there are plenty of future MTals on TLS. TTT's aren't a good bet.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:48 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
MTal wrote:As a series 7/63 licensed broker, I can tell you that reading this thread is like watching a financial train wreck occuring in slow motion.
Just curious, would your parents sign for you if you had asked them? Put all the negativity against law school aside. In fact, pretend it was for some kind of engineering degree, would you have asked and do you think they would have?

They would have signed if I had asked, but I chose not to. There are too many horror stories of parents losing their homes/livelihood due to their inability to service their children's educational debt. My parents worked too long and hard (they are both FOB PhD's, 1 in a hard science, the other in...not going to say) to deserve that kind of fate.

bmneely

New

Post by bmneely » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:58 am

Wow Chicago. From this topic alone I can't see why anyone would want to avoid returning your calls.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:02 pm

bmneely wrote:Wow Chicago. From this topic alone I can't see why anyone would want to avoid returning your calls.
You also didn't grow up around my dad, who seriously fucked up my childhood. He's been helpful, but it's because he knows what he's done. Why don't you hold your tongue until you know? Or until you have more than 8 posts? You really don't want to make enemies here that early. K thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Azmatt

Bronze

Post by Azmatt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:12 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
bmneely wrote:Wow Chicago. From this topic alone I can't see why anyone would want to avoid returning your calls.
You also didn't grow up around my dad, who seriously fucked up my childhood. He's been helpful, but it's because he knows what he's done. Why don't you hold your tongue until you know? Or until you have more than 8 posts? You really don't want to make enemies here that early. K thanks.

So, ummmm, did he sign it? I'm curious now. Your whole situation completely just scares the shit out of me. I have decent credit, but no recourse if I can't qualify for GRADPlus myself... Talk about devastating... I don't do that helpless feeling shit, well..

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Azmatt wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:

So, ummmm, did he sign it? I'm curious now. Your whole situation completely just scares the shit out of me. I have decent credit, but no recourse if I can't qualify for GRADPlus myself... Talk about devastating... I don't do that helpless feeling shit, well..
Yes, he finally just had me do it for him yesterday from my comp, which I could've done a while ago. My whole thing is don't say you'll do something and then not do it/avoid the person after saying you would. Although, that is what he does constantly, even more since he retired, so looking back, I don't know why I was really all that surprised.

Azmatt

Bronze

Post by Azmatt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:30 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
Azmatt wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:

Yes, he finally just had me do it for him yesterday from my comp, which I could've done a while ago. My whole thing is don't say you'll do something and then not do it/avoid the person after saying you would. Although, that is what he does constantly, even more since he retired, so looking back, I don't know why I was really all that surprised.

Ya, I'm the same way so I get your frustration. I'm sure it's even more coming from a family member. Good luck with your finances. I have some questions about that whole process so, PM me if you want.

LoyolaLaw2012

Bronze

Post by LoyolaLaw2012 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:32 pm

This has turned into a therapy session.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:34 pm

LoyolaLaw2012 wrote:This has turned into a therapy session.
I needed therapy at the start, but now everything is grand. :mrgreen:

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:49 pm

Don't be hard on Mtal. He's kind of like that grumpy/racist older family member at Thanksgiving. Sure they're annoying and hard to listen to, but it wouldn't be the same without them.

toolfan

Bronze

Post by toolfan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:00 pm

Don't Grad Plus loans have an origination fee and an interest rate near 8%?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:04 pm

toolfan wrote:Don't Grad Plus loans have an origination fee and an interest rate near 8%?
4% origination fee. it's criminal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

toolfan

Bronze

Post by toolfan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:12 pm

IAFG wrote:
toolfan wrote:Don't Grad Plus loans have an origination fee and an interest rate near 8%?
Facepalm

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:46 pm

toolfan wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Facepalm
Well, I need the money, so I really don't have a choice...unless some fabulous benevolent individual would like to help me out? Anyone? Anyone? Come on... :D

I'm going to try to stash some away each term so I don't have to take out quite so much in GradPlus in 2L, and follow suit for 3L. Try and dwindle that down as much as possible. I took out up to the limit this year because I need a new computer (this one freezes at least two or three times a day), and because I'm trying to levy it into a little bit of extra cash flow so I can begin actually planning my wedding.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:49 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
toolfan wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Facepalm
Well, I need the money, so I really don't have a choice...unless some fabulous benevolent individual would like to help me out? Anyone? Anyone? Come on... :D

I'm going to try to stash some away each term so I don't have to take out quite so much in GradPlus in 2L, and follow suit for 3L. Try and dwindle that down as much as possible. I took out up to the limit this year because I need a new computer (this one freezes at least two or three times a day), and because I'm trying to levy it into a little bit of extra cash flow so I can begin actually planning my wedding.
Don't borrow money for a wedding.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote: Well, I need the money, so I really don't have a choice...unless some fabulous benevolent individual would like to help me out? Anyone? Anyone? Come on... :D

We're not having anything lavish, trust me. We actually may just elope, but trying to have at least a few pennies to rub together so we can at least set a date and feel comfortable doing so. We've been engaged for almost a year, and still haven't been able to set a date yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:55 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote: Well, I need the money, so I really don't have a choice...unless some fabulous benevolent individual would like to help me out? Anyone? Anyone? Come on... :D

We're not having anything lavish, trust me. We actually may just elope, but trying to have at least a few pennies to rub together so we can at least set a date and feel comfortable doing so. We've been engaged for almost a year, and still haven't been able to set a date yet.
How are you expecting to pay off your loans anyway?

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:

I may have you mistaken with someone else chicagolaw, but is your fiance the texting from another room arguer?????

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:

I may have you mistaken with someone else chicagolaw, but is your fiance the texting from another room arguer?????
Hahaha yes...we sorted all that out...he can be a piece of shit at times, but he's MY piece of shit haha.

As for paying off the loans, I do hope to have a fabulous job waiting for me after graduation and the bar (don't we all), but I figure worst case scenario, HELLOOOOOOO IBR! haha

EDIT: I should also add that I may use some of that Grad Plus money to pay off other debts and try to repair my credit to some extent. 8% is WAY better than stuff still in collections.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:54 pm

... flame?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Nope, no flame.

I'm just happy I got my grad plus.

/thread

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:01 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Nope, no flame.

I'm just happy I got my grad plus.

/thread
i just get the sense you're taunting TLS as a whole with your horrifying life decisions.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:07 pm

I should clarify:

I am NOT taking out the full amount JUST to pay for a wedding. Stafford loans and scholly don't cover THAT much of my full tuition, so part is going towards that. I also live in Chicago, it ain't cheap to live. I'm saying that if I have some left over, which I don't even know if I will yet after making sure I have enough to cover my portion of rent and bills and all, that I will throw some in the bank to reduce what I have to ask for in the coming years, I will throw a little bit at my current debts, and I will throw a little bit at my wedding fund. I'm talking about a grand here, a grand there. It's not like I'm taking out $20k in extra loans to throw myself a party here, folks. Taking out to COA because I can, and because part of what's included in said COA is covered by my living with fiance, utilizing some of that to be able to either reduce further incurred debt or get myself on the right track credit and wedding-wise. I don't see the problem.

I know plenty of people in UG who took out loans to party all year. I'm doing constructive things with any extra money.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:13 pm

MTal wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
As a non series 7/63 licensed broker, I can tell you to STFU and GTFO.
Of course. Why believe someone with experience who has more knowledge of financial matters than you?
You can train a monkey to pass the series 7/63 license tests. Congrats, man!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”