GradPlus-Induced Panic Attack Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
chicagolaw2013

Silver

Re: GradPlus-Induced Panic Attack

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:15 pm

CG614 wrote:
MTal wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
MTal wrote:As a series 7/63 licensed broker, I can tell you that reading this thread is like watching a financial train wreck occuring in slow motion.
As a non series 7/63 licensed broker, I can tell you to STFU and GTFO.
Of course. Why believe someone with experience who has more knowledge of financial matters than you?
You can train a monkey to pass the series 7/63 license tests. Congrats, man!
I lol'd. Meme of monkey would have made it even better though.

toolfan

Bronze

Post by toolfan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:17 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:I should clarify:

I am NOT taking out the full amount JUST to pay for a wedding. Stafford loans and scholly don't cover THAT much of my full tuition, so part is going towards that. I also live in Chicago, it ain't cheap to live. I'm saying that if I have some left over, which I don't even know if I will yet after making sure I have enough to cover my portion of rent and bills and all, that I will throw some in the bank to reduce what I have to ask for in the coming years, I will throw a little bit at my current debts, and I will throw a little bit at my wedding fund. I'm talking about a grand here, a grand there. It's not like I'm taking out $20k in extra loans to throw myself a party here, folks. Taking out to COA because I can, and because part of what's included in said COA is covered by my living with fiance, utilizing some of that to be able to either reduce further incurred debt or get myself on the right track credit and wedding-wise. I don't see the problem.

I know plenty of people in UG who took out loans to party all year. I'm doing constructive things with any extra money.
I feel your pain. My girlfriend wants a ring (ugh). Not sure how I'll be able to afford one. It most likely won't happen for 5 or so years, unless I land a sweet SA position - doubtful. Hope it won't take that long. And I'll most likely be Grad Plus-ing as well. The facepalm was me looking forward to an unavoidable, precarious loan situation.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:18 pm

I am NOT taking out the full amount JUST to pay for a wedding. Stafford loans and scholly don't cover THAT much of my full tuition, so part is going towards that. I also live in Chicago, it ain't cheap to live. I'm saying that if I have some left over, which I don't even know if I will yet after making sure I have enough to cover my portion of rent and bills and all, that I will throw some in the bank to reduce what I have to ask for in the coming years, I will throw a little bit at my current debts, and I will throw a little bit at my wedding fund. I'm talking about a grand here, a grand there. It's not like I'm taking out $20k in extra loans to throw myself a party here, folks. Taking out to COA because I can, and because part of what's included in said COA is covered by my living with fiance, utilizing some of that to be able to either reduce further incurred debt or get myself on the right track credit and wedding-wise. I don't see the problem.

I know plenty of people in UG who took out loans to party all year. I'm doing constructive things with any extra money.
Do you have private loans from undergrad? If so funnel the money into that.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Do you have private loans from undergrad? If so funnel the money into that.
Yeah, that's the first thing to go. Sister cosigned (my parents' credit histories were pretty bad at that time, my dad since cleared his up, hence why he was able to cosign), so I'd like to get that eliminated. I only owe like 4k on it...only private loan I have left. My credit may be shit, but I pay every student loan on time. Don't want to default there!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:22 pm

toolfan wrote: I feel your pain. My girlfriend wants a ring (ugh). Not sure how I'll be able to afford one. It most likely won't happen for 5 or so years, unless I land a sweet SA position - doubtful. Hope it won't take that long. And I'll most likely be Grad Plus-ing as well. The facepalm was me looking forward to an unavoidable, precarious loan situation.
if she is pressuring you for a frivolous luxury good when she should know you can't afford it, she doesn't sound mature enough for marriage

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:23 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote: Yeah, that's the first thing to go. Sister cosigned (my parents' credit histories were pretty bad at that time, my dad since cleared his up, hence why he was able to cosign), so I'd like to get that eliminated. I only owe like 4k on it...only private loan I have left. My credit may be shit, but I pay every student loan on time. Don't want to default there!
isn't that the best thing to default on? i thought the only thing they can do it take away your tax refund

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:25 pm

IAFG wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote: Yeah, that's the first thing to go. Sister cosigned (my parents' credit histories were pretty bad at that time, my dad since cleared his up, hence why he was able to cosign), so I'd like to get that eliminated. I only owe like 4k on it...only private loan I have left. My credit may be shit, but I pay every student loan on time. Don't want to default there!
isn't that the best thing to default on? i thought the only thing they can do it take away your tax refund
I would be screwed for getting loans for law school period, including Stafford, so no, that is the absolute worst to default on.

EDIT: And they can also garnish your wages, so you look like a total deadbeat to your employer.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:01 pm

toolfan wrote:I feel your pain. My girlfriend wants a ring (ugh). Not sure how I'll be able to afford one. It most likely won't happen for 5 or so years, unless I land a sweet SA position - doubtful. Hope it won't take that long. And I'll most likely be Grad Plus-ing as well. The facepalm was me looking forward to an unavoidable, precarious loan situation.
Tell her that standard is for a ring worth two months' salary. Calculate based on two months you are unemployed. Get a glow in the dark ring from a box of Froot Loops. Live happily ever after.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:02 pm

NayBoer wrote:
toolfan wrote:I feel your pain. My girlfriend wants a ring (ugh). Not sure how I'll be able to afford one. It most likely won't happen for 5 or so years, unless I land a sweet SA position - doubtful. Hope it won't take that long. And I'll most likely be Grad Plus-ing as well. The facepalm was me looking forward to an unavoidable, precarious loan situation.
Tell her that standard is for a ring worth two months' salary. Calculate based on two months you are unemployed. Get a glow in the dark ring from a box of Froot Loops. Live happily ever after.
I lol'd at glow in the dark. That's the classiest type of ring. Wait, maybe besides a mood ring.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:10 pm

toolfan wrote: I feel your pain. My girlfriend wants a ring (ugh). Not sure how I'll be able to afford one. It most likely won't happen for 5 or so years, unless I land a sweet SA position - doubtful. Hope it won't take that long. And I'll most likely be Grad Plus-ing as well. The facepalm was me looking forward to an unavoidable, precarious loan situation.
She's trying to seal the deal. Sure you don't want to hold out for all those "hot" law school girls? lol

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:16 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
I lol'd. Meme of monkey would have made it even better though.
I have a job and almost no debt. You don't.

hank44

New

Post by hank44 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:24 pm

OP why is your credit so bad in the first place? Someone with bad credit (that has made bad financial decisions) might want to back away from marriage/law school/DEBT talk...or at least not jump into all three at once?

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:44 pm

I feel your pain. My girlfriend wants a ring (ugh). Not sure how I'll be able to afford one. It most likely won't happen for 5 or so years, unless I land a sweet SA position - doubtful. Hope it won't take that long. And I'll most likely be Grad Plus-ing as well. The facepalm was me looking forward to an unavoidable, precarious loan situation.
Demanding expensive ring when personal income is less than zero?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Yes curb stomp, I agree.

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:Don't be hard on Mtal. He's kind of like that grumpy/racist older family member at Thanksgiving. Sure they're annoying and hard to listen to, but it wouldn't be the same without them.
Reminds me of Pierce in Community on NBC.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Yes curb stomp, I agree.
I meant kick her out, not kill her. But I like where your head is at.

toolfan

Bronze

Post by toolfan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:53 pm

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:
Haha. She isn't demanding it yet. Though, she has been mentioning it more and more lately. I think of the Ray-J song, "She ain't gon' tie me down..." la la la.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:58 pm

toolfan wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:

Haha. She isn't demanding it yet. Though, she has been mentioning it more and more lately. I think of the Ray-J song, "She ain't gon' tie me down..." la la la.
You GUYS are insane. And I use the word guys, since clearly none of you are female.

If you don't want a long term relationship with her, let her know, but don't drag her along. It's not unreasonable of her to want to solidify her relationship with you, especially since you're going to be spending most of your time with brand new people. A ring is a symbol of commitment, and that’s why she’s angling for it.

Jeez TLS people, cut this dude's girlfriend some slack.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:00 pm

HazelEyes wrote: You GUYS are insane. And I use the word guys, since clearly none of you are female.

If you don't want a long term relationship with her, let her know, but don't drag her along. It's not unreasonable of her to want to solidify her relationship with you, especially since you're going to be spending most of your time with brand new people. A ring is a symbol of commitment, and that’s why she’s angling for it.

sign of insecurity in the relationship. a symbol of commitment won't change facts, keep them together, keep him faithful, etc. it's a childish and immature thing to demand.

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:04 pm

IAFG wrote:
HazelEyes wrote: You GUYS are insane. And I use the word guys, since clearly none of you are female.

sign of insecurity in the relationship. a symbol of commitment won't change facts, keep them together, keep him faithful, etc. it's a childish and immature thing to demand.
I'm pretty sure he said she isn't demanding. Haha, love defending someone's imaginary GF!

toolfan

Bronze

Post by toolfan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:06 pm

HazelEyes and IAFG,

I think we're approaching the fundamental divide between men and women.

@ HazelEyes: In as few words as possible (though she deserves much more), she's a great girl. I wouldn't string her along. I'm just not there yet. The finances surrounding all of this won't help. Hopefully things keep going well.

@IAFG: I feel you!

sorry for hijacking the thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:19 pm

hank44 wrote:OP why is your credit so bad in the first place? Someone with bad credit (that has made bad financial decisions) might want to back away from marriage/law school/DEBT talk...or at least not jump into all three at once?
Stupid decisions back in UG that I've been working to clear up, and haven't been able to completely yet (i.e. I thought I just HAD to show up with a bangin' car sophomore year since I could bring a car...I was a fucking idiot, I know this).

1) Marriage: I love my fiance (even though he can be an ass sometimes, which I think Matlock pointed out) and it's about that time. As I said before, not having a large and crazy WEDDING, which is probably what you are trying to make a point about...I don't see what MARRIAGE has to do with it.

2) Law School: I worked in sales for 3 years, suffering layoff after layoff. Law school has always been in the cards for me, I took legal interest classes in college, even in high school, so for me, it was just a question of when. I don't see a better time, seeing as how I am sitting on unemployment right now, and my prime time to have kids would be a couple of years after the bar at this juncture.

3) Debt: Gotta go into debt to go to law school, unless you're independently rich or you have a family member willing to pay your way that is rich, which I am not. I also did not receive a full ride, but few people do, or they wouldn't have such a thing as a government loan. I am not scared of debt. My credit can't get much worse than it was at absolute rock bottom a year or two ago, so I'm kind of over it.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:28 pm

I took out up to the limit this year because I need a new computer (this one freezes at least two or three times a day), and because I'm trying to levy it into a little bit of extra cash flow so I can begin actually planning my wedding.
You should be able to buy a perfectly serviceable computer for less than $300. I just picked up a basic laptop brand new from Microcenter for $275 for my fiancée. It's working out great. You don't need a computing powerhouse for law school. Just be sure to delete the crapware when you buy it (pretty much all pre-installed software including their antivirus).

If your computer is freezing, make sure it's not a software problem before chucking it. Reformat and reinstall is your friend.

- Sorry to threadjack- thought this might be useful.

I can commiserate on the wedding. I'm getting married soon myself- it's crazy expensive.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:39 pm

nealric wrote:
I took out up to the limit this year because I need a new computer (this one freezes at least two or three times a day), and because I'm trying to levy it into a little bit of extra cash flow so I can begin actually planning my wedding.
You should be able to buy a perfectly serviceable computer for less than $300. I just picked up a basic laptop brand new from Microcenter for $275 for my fiancée. It's working out great. You don't need a computing powerhouse for law school. Just be sure to delete the crapware when you buy it (pretty much all pre-installed software including their antivirus).

If your computer is freezing, make sure it's not a software problem before chucking it. Reformat and reinstall is your friend.

- Sorry to threadjack- thought this might be useful.

I can commiserate on the wedding. I'm getting married soon myself- it's crazy expensive.

Investing in a Macbook. Well worth the extra bit I'm taking out for it.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:41 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
Investing in a Macbook. Well worth the extra bit I'm taking out for it.
:| :? computers aren't investments

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”