Quick Stafford loan question

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
The Kim Jong illest

Quick Stafford loan question

Postby The Kim Jong illest » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:47 pm

I received my letter letting me know I was approved for Stafford loans a couple weeks ago. However, my roommate threw it out while cleaning, and for various reasons involving me not knowing my FAFSA PIN number I can't get a Student Aid Report online without some hassle.

And so - my recollection is that in order to "activate" the loan money you needed to go to a couple of websites and fill some information out. I'm simply asking if anyonw knows exactly what those sites are. Thank you!

imacpa

Re: Quick Stafford loan question

Postby imacpa » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Just go to the FAFSA website. They should be able to help you retrieve or change your PIN.

The Kim Jong illest wrote:I received my letter letting me know I was approved for Stafford loans a couple weeks ago. However, my roommate threw it out while cleaning, and for various reasons involving me not knowing my FAFSA PIN number I can't get a Student Aid Report online without some hassle.

And so - my recollection is that in order to "activate" the loan money you needed to go to a couple of websites and fill some information out. I'm simply asking if anyonw knows exactly what those sites are. Thank you!

The Kim Jong illest

Postby The Kim Jong illest » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Yeah - they can only do that if I talk to them directly (possibly), during their Monday to Friday hours (basically while I am at work). My basic problem is that my PIN was most likely created like 7 years ago when I was applying to undergrad, and so even the confirmation questions are loaded with information I just can't recall. So today I got super stressed thinking about it and wanted to ask TLS.

angioletto

Postby angioletto » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:24 am

For undergrad I always had to accept my Stafford loan money through my school's financial aid website.

NCtoVAtoNC

Postby NCtoVAtoNC » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:22 am

You should be able to retrieve your FAFSA PIN at pin.ed.gov. There are a few options to either reset your PIN, retreive, etc. I used the site to retrieve mine from my undergrad years (roughly 4-8 years ago).

You can also call 1-800-433-3243 to deactivate your PIN and request a new one be issued.

After receiving your PIN, you'll likely need to complete the loan entrance counseling and electronically sign your master promissary note(s). All can be done through studentloans.gov.

Once complete with the loan counseling and MPNs, the Federal Student Aid Office will send electronic confirmation to your school. Give it a few business days, and then you should be all set.

EDIT: Actually, yes, first your SAR is sent to your school(s) and they will send you the aid report where you will accept or deny the total approved amount of loans, or specify the amount of the approved loans you will accept. After that, you proceed through the PIN, studentloans.gov sites to do your MPNs and entrance counseling.

Return to “Financial Aid”