Asking a Law School to "Re-Review" Scholarship Offer

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
krj02004

Asking a Law School to "Re-Review" Scholarship Offer

Postby krj02004 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Right now I am deciding between 2 top 30 schools (9 rankings between them). The lower ranked school, offered me a full tuition scholarship, but I would very much prefer the higher ranking school I got into. Not only is the school more national, but the location is in a big city and the area is nicer. However, they gave me little scholarship money ($10k/year... which is what I have to take out for childcare loans). I would end up with $200k+ in debt as opposed to $75k (living expenses and childcare) at the higher ranked school.

I called them and told them that I was offered a full-ride at another school (I didn't say which one). The Admissions rep was understanding and suggested that I write a letter to the scholarship committee asking then to re-review their offer... she said no guarantees but it doesn't hurt to ask.

My question is what to put in that letter.... I'm not sure how much info is "too much" to include. Do I tell them I received a better offer at another school? Do I identify that school by name? What should be the general form of this letter?

I find it dauting to ask for more money. I don't want to sound ungrateful for what they did give me, but there is no way I could go to this school if they don't up my scholly money. I'm not expecting a full ride, but it needs to be a substantial increase if I were to consider going.

Rock of Love

Re: Asking a Law School to "Re-Review" Scholarship Offer

Postby Rock of Love » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:16 pm

Typically for scholarship appeals, schools do want you to mention the other school's name and specific scholarship amount.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:20 pm

You're probably going to want to mention the school's name, otherwise how would they know you aren't trying to leverage Cooley's full whip?

MoS

Postby MoS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:20 pm

I don't think you will have much success pinning a full ride at Iowa against Vanderbilt. So I wouldn't lean too hard Iowa being the other school. I would focus on why you would like to attend Vanderbilt, so they know if they increase their offer you aren't going to just snub them if it isn't a full ride. Also let them know you are a full time mother too, and that means money will be a large part of your decision, because a grad who has no dependents can deal with a large debt load and work 90+ hrs a week to pay off that debt, but a mother can't, well won't for the good of her children.

Sorry to out your schools, I remember you from the other thread, but the schools will be important for how you approach it. If you want me to delete it, I will.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 pm

In my limited experience this cycle, many schools aren't as concerned with rank as you might think. They will only consider peer schools, but they are a bit more open than you might think. Being honest about why you prefer their campus to the other helps. Also, decide how dedicated to it you are. I wrote that they could consider my app withdrawn if they weren't able to help because I simply couldn't put my family in that much debt no matter how much I preferred their campus to the other. I know things constrict near the top, so you're in a different situation.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:40 pm

MoS wrote:I don't think you will have much success pinning a full ride at Iowa against Vanderbilt. So I wouldn't lean too hard Iowa being the other school. I would focus on why you would like to attend Vanderbilt, so they know if they increase their offer you aren't going to just snub them if it isn't a full ride. Also let them know you are a full time mother too, and that means money will be a large part of your decision, because a grad who has no dependents can deal with a large debt load and work 90+ hrs a week to pay off that debt, but a mother can't, well won't for the good of her children.

Sorry to out your schools, I remember you from the other thread, but the schools will be important for how you approach it. If you want me to delete it, I will.

No worries. That is what I was thinking... that it wasn't worth mentioning Iowa to Vandy. But I probably should and they can take it however they want to. I'm NOT expecting anything close to a full ride at Vandy.... but I do need them to at least double their initial offer for me to even justify assuming that much debt. Like you said... there is no way in hell I am working 90 hours a week. i can't even if I wanted to .... I just found out this week my daughter has developmental delay issues and quite possible autism spectrum :(. Which is why Vandy is even back on the table again.... they have an excellent center for these very disorders. Iowa has some programs, but not nearly as grand (or good) as Vandy's.

MoS

Postby MoS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:51 pm

Thats a good reason to reconsider Vandy. My mother has worked with adults with disabilities since I was little. There is a very real difference between those who have been worked with since a child, those who were just left to meet society's expectations. I think them knowing child care costs are only going to be covered by their scholarship will be relevant info to them. Plus the did give you money to begin with so the makes it more likely they will increase it now. Though, I am not sure how Vanderbilt see Iowa in terms of being a peer school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:54 pm

MoS wrote:I don't think you will have much success pinning a full ride at Iowa against Vanderbilt. So I wouldn't lean too hard Iowa being the other school. I would focus on why you would like to attend Vanderbilt, so they know if they increase their offer you aren't going to just snub them if it isn't a full ride. Also let them know you are a full time mother too, and that means money will be a large part of your decision, because a grad who has no dependents can deal with a large debt load and work 90+ hrs a week to pay off that debt, but a mother can't, well won't for the good of her children.

I disagree. You need to highlight it and stress that a full ride in this economy is tough to turn down. Also highlight the fact that you are a mother and don't want to saddle your family with debt.

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:08 am

OP, i dont really have anything constructive to add to the thread right now but i wanted to send you my condolescences for your daughter and that i hope things get better. your family are in my thoughts.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:28 am

krj02004 wrote:

No worries. That is what I was thinking... that it wasn't worth mentioning Iowa to Vandy. But I probably should and they can take it however they want to. I'm NOT expecting anything close to a full ride at Vandy.... but I do need them to at least double their initial offer for me to even justify assuming that much debt. Like you said... there is no way in hell I am working 90 hours a week. i can't even if I wanted to .... I just found out this week my daughter has developmental delay issues and quite possible autism spectrum :(. Which is why Vandy is even back on the table again.... they have an excellent center for these very disorders. Iowa has some programs, but not nearly as grand (or good) as Vandy's.

Just a note about your daughter, I have some really good friends who have a son with aspergers syndrome <sp>(its basically mild autism for those who don't know). He has his moments, but he really is a cool kid, and he is, and will, be able to function fairly well throughout his life. He's incredibly fun to be around, and is generally liked by his peers.
There is a lot of support out there for kids on the autism spectrum, and for their parents.

edit: Also, just go for it in regard to asking for more money. It is pretty surprising how well it can go, especially with a polite letter.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:12 am

You guys are all very thoughtful... and helpful! I think I will just "go for it" and put my situation all out there. The worst they can say is no, right?

mazzini

Postby mazzini » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:44 am

With 9 rankings between the school I'm afraid you might get a response something along the lines of, "we do not consider (school) to be a peer institution". However, I highly recommend that you do ask for more money and adamantly but politely stress your concern for the debt that would be undertaken if you were to attend that school.

Return to “Financial Aid”