Still no FAFSA Award Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
corporatelaw87

Bronze

Still no FAFSA Award

Post by corporatelaw87 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:34 pm

I completed my form in late March, still haven't gotten an award. Is this strange or a common occurrence?

byunbee

Bronze

Re: Still no FAFSA Award

Post by byunbee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:37 pm

When were you admitted to your school? Also, it would be easier to just ask your fin aid office, just in case there's a problem.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:40 pm

Some schools haven't given them out yet.

corporatelaw87

Bronze

Post by corporatelaw87 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:42 pm

byunbee wrote:When were you admitted to your school? Also, it would be easier to just ask your fin aid office, just in case there's a problem.

I was in Dec. Not really sure why there would be a problem, plus my tax return had less than $2000 of income on it. I should get an award no? Plus I know of a friend who got theirs in March when they submitted in Feb.

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:47 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:
byunbee wrote:When were you admitted to your school? Also, it would be easier to just ask your fin aid office, just in case there's a problem.

I was in Dec. Not really sure why there would be a problem, plus my tax return had less than $2000 of income on it. I should get an award no? Plus I know of a friend who got theirs in March when they submitted in Feb.
Well, I wouldn't call 100k+ in loans an award, but semantics aside, there are obviously two possibilities:

1) Your school hasn't released any money yet.

2) There is some kind of problem.

In either case, I think it's worth it to give them a call or an email to figure out why it's taking so long. That's what I would do, at least.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

corporatelaw87

Bronze

Post by corporatelaw87 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:02 pm

byunbee wrote:
corporatelaw87 wrote:

Well, I wouldn't call 100k+ in loans an award, but semantics aside, there are obviously two possibilities:

1) Your school hasn't released any money yet.

2) There is some kind of problem.

In either case, I think it's worth it to give them a call or an email to figure out why it's taking so long. That's what I would do, at least.
What kind of problems usually occur?

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:07 pm

Not sure, never had a problem.

The only thing I can think of is an issue with verification of the numbers you put down. But I don't know how closely they look at that stuff and considering that your income is less than 2k...leads me to believe that there's just a big delay. Definitely not worth leaving alone though, I would call as soon as possible, just for the reassurance. If you're posting this on TLS, you're probably very worried about it.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:10 pm

What school?

Have you checked the school's thread in the section? Are other people saying they have theirs?

Angelica Pickles

New

Post by Angelica Pickles » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:48 am

It's still early so I wouldn't start panicking yet. Call them and find out what's going on.

jrodz80

New

Post by jrodz80 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:57 am

corporatelaw87 wrote:

How much does your previous year's income affect your Stafford/Graduate PLUS Loan amount?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”