Financial Aid Outside of top HYSC

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Financial Aid Outside of top HYSC

Postby 005618502 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:17 pm

How does financial aid work at most law schools (not top 5). Do they base financial aid off of parents income and students income? or only Students income? Im sorry if this has been posted a million times but i am very curious. I have heard many schools do not even give money based on need which i find suprising.

Re: Financial Aid Outside of top HYSC

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:20 pm

It differs by school, but Northwestern doesn't collect parental data. They claim to give money based on need combined with merit, but that works out to be basically just merit.

It's not surprising everyone can take out loans for the whole thing.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Do any schools give money based on parent income? I know that HYSC do, but as of right now with my PT's im not so sure im getting into those schools, but we will see after june scores come out.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:37 am

Desert Fox wrote:It differs by school, but Northwestern doesn't collect parental data. They claim to give money based on need combined with merit, but that works out to be basically just merit.

What do you mean by "doesn't collect?" Since you can only file one FAFSA and since certain schools require you to fill out parental data in order to be eligible, doesn't this mean that every school will have access to it via the FAFSA, even if they don't gather it themselves? Or do you mean that they see it via the FAFSA and don't consider it?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:52 am

bk1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:It differs by school, but Northwestern doesn't collect parental data. They claim to give money based on need combined with merit, but that works out to be basically just merit.

What do you mean by "doesn't collect?" Since you can only file one FAFSA and since certain schools require you to fill out parental data in order to be eligible, doesn't this mean that every school will have access to it via the FAFSA, even if they don't gather it themselves? Or do you mean that they see it via the FAFSA and don't consider it?

Fafsa doesn't have parents data on it for grad school. Schools have an extra form call need access, that can have family data or not depending on what the school requests.

Northwestern will not consider it even if they get it. I don't think they even give out need.

Return to “Financial Aid”