Looking for guidance on Life/Work/Law School Balance

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
greenlight

Looking for guidance on Life/Work/Law School Balance

Postby greenlight » Tue May 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Pushing hard for a future acceptance to law school; as a family man I will have quite a few sacrifices to make, especially year one.

Financially I am wondering if anyone has been able to cement both the loans required for Tuition, but also plus loans to help pay for the loss of income during my hypothetical law school attendance.

I live close to Northwestern (school of choice) and would hope to supplement a part time night job with low interest loans.

Any information or similar personal experience is appreciated - selling my wife and kids on my parents basement is going to be tougher than the program itself.

yeff

Re: Looking for guidance on Life/Work/Law School Balance

Postby yeff » Tue May 25, 2010 6:34 pm

If you have dependents, you can get an increased cost of attendance and take out more grad+ loans than a single law student could.

There are a number of parents attending law school here, and other threads as well.

Examples:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=116089
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117967

Search and you'll find many more.

Whatisthis

Postby Whatisthis » Tue May 25, 2010 6:59 pm

yeff wrote:If you have dependents, you can get an increased cost of attendance and take out more grad+ loans than a single law student could.

There are a number of parents attending law school here, and other threads as well.

Examples:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=116089
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117967

Search and you'll find many more.

I also will be making the move to law school with my wife and two young children. I have heard they can adjust your COL, but does anyone know just how much extra you can get per dependent? I have tried to search for this, but I was unable to find anything specific.

Anyone have personal experience?

greenlight

Postby greenlight » Tue May 25, 2010 7:15 pm

This forum is a life saver. I was having a tough time swallowing the dream could be over before it began.

Thanks You.

Return to “Financial Aid”