Drug Conviction - Loan Eligibility Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
BeachedBrit

Bronze

Drug Conviction - Loan Eligibility

Post by BeachedBrit » Fri May 21, 2010 9:14 am

If I have a prior drug conviction for misdemeanor Marijuana possession (1/2 oz - 1 1/2 oz so the more serious of my state's Marijuana misdemeanors for possession) and am not a US citizen, only a permanent resident, how would that affect my eligibility for the various typical forms of financial aid and loans (Stafford, GradPlus etc.) and is there anything I can do to restore the eligibility lost with the drug conviction?

Thanks for the help

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Re: Drug Conviction - Loan Eligibility

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:09 pm

If I'm not mistaken, I think drug convictions in particular make you ineligible for loans (I remember answering some sort of question like this on the FAFSA).

As you aren't a citizen, I feel like this would put even more strikes against you. No offense or anything...

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Mon May 24, 2010 7:17 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, I think drug convictions in particular make you ineligible for loans (I remember answering some sort of question like this on the FAFSA).

As you aren't a citizen, I feel like this would put even more strikes against you. No offense or anything...
Actually, I think you have to have gotten the drug conviction while receiving federal aid. I have a friend who was convicted of distribution of a controlled substance (Schedule I) before he started college and he receives aid. But I could be wrong...

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:22 pm

cartercl wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, I think drug convictions in particular make you ineligible for loans (I remember answering some sort of question like this on the FAFSA).

Actually, I think you have to have gotten the drug conviction while receiving federal aid. I have a friend who was convicted of distribution of a controlled substance (Schedule I) before he started college and he receives aid. But I could be wrong...
Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I just knew there was some drug-related question on there. You could totally be right.

Billy Blanks

Bronze

Post by Billy Blanks » Mon May 24, 2010 7:27 pm

Here it says you must be 1) an eligible noncitizen (since you're not a citizen), and 2) "Not have a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, loans, or work-study)." The previous poster already pointed out (2), I just wanted to lend it some weight. You didn't mention whether you were receiving aid at the time of your conviction, but assuming not, you should be good on that count.

As far as (1) is concerned it doesn't make this explicit. However, looking at the rest of the list makes me think you must have a Social Security Number, at the least.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”