Scholarship Negotiation After Commitment?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
DeweyDell

Scholarship Negotiation After Commitment?

Postby DeweyDell » Mon May 17, 2010 3:51 pm

Hey TLS Community,

I'm in an enviable, but complex situation and would like to make the most out of my opportunities, so here's my predicament:

I have already sent in my deposit (at deadline) for one law school, but another has come through with significant scholarship money. They are both T14 so it seems that negotiation with the higher ranked would be feasible under normal circumstances. Is it possible to request reconsideration for financial aid after committing? Would an attempt be enough to disqualify my acceptance if the deposit technically required me to withdraw other applications?

Also, I wonder what other information I should include in my request (if I do decide to go through with it). Updated transcripts seems like a no brainer. But completion of senior thesis information? Additional recommendations directly relevant to my personal statement?

Law school admissions is crazy game so I appreciate you all's wisdom.

blurbz

Re: Scholarship Negotiation After Commitment?

Postby blurbz » Mon May 17, 2010 4:04 pm

If the deposit that you sent included an agreement to withdraw all other applications, you should have done so immediately.

DeweyDell

Postby DeweyDell » Mon May 17, 2010 5:57 pm

From what I hear that's not how these things usually play out. Anyone else?

Gold Dust Woman

Postby Gold Dust Woman » Tue May 18, 2010 11:49 am

Last edited by Gold Dust Woman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

naplesbeauty

Postby naplesbeauty » Tue May 18, 2010 12:39 pm

In the same situation. Best of luck to you guys. I'm drafting my revised email negotiation letter right now.

Let's go everyone!

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Tue May 18, 2010 12:59 pm

I am working on something similar as well, except I was waitlisted at a school after I put my deposit in. I sent a generic email to the director of fin aid. He called me the next day to discuss how I should ask for an increase in scholarships. It was a very nice and unexpected. He also said I might get none now, but more later after second deposits and when registration begins, because students pull out when they get off waitlists.

So, to show my full commitment I am withdrawing from the waitlist I am on, which I don't want to go to that school anyways. I am going to write another email at the suggestion the fin aid director that called me. Essentially, I'm going to be pretty blunt. Talk about my commitment to the school, which I showed by withdrawing from all the other schools. Then I am going to talk about where I am financially and what an increase in my scholly would mean to me. Worth a shot.

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:23 pm

blurbz wrote:If the deposit that you sent included an agreement to withdraw all other applications, you should have done so immediately.

+1

Return to “Financial Aid”