Early Decision Aid

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
shane0515

Early Decision Aid

Postby shane0515 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:21 am

Hey guys.
Half Black, Half Inuit(native american)
3.6 GPA (USC) southern cal
160 LSAT(probably going to retake)

I'm thinking of applying ED to Duke and UVA. Do you think I have any realistic chance of scholarship money? I'm obviosuly not looking for a full ride or anything but do you think I have any shot of getting any scholarships applying ED at these schools? Should I apply regular decision instead?

cr073137

Re: Early Decision Aid

Postby cr073137 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:30 am

shane0515 wrote:Hey guys.
Half Black, Half Inuit(native american)
3.6 GPA (USC) southern cal
160 LSAT(probably going to retake)

I'm thinking of applying ED to Duke and UVA. Do you think I have any realistic chance of scholarship money? I'm obviosuly not looking for a full ride or anything but do you think I have any shot of getting any scholarships applying ED at these schools? Should I apply regular decision instead?

Unless you are 100% sure on those schools, dont do it. Apply early action (non-binding) to all the schools that you can. With some luck, you will be able to crack the top 14 with perhaps some money. If not, at least you will still leave to door open to schools like vandy, which will probably give you money.

yabbadabbado

Re: Early Decision Aid

Postby yabbadabbado » Tue May 18, 2010 11:44 am

When you apply binding ED, you are basically giving up most of your shot at aid. If you are committing to attend via a binding ED agreement, there is absolutely no incentive for the school to give you a dime. Need based aid is another story, but that's based on parental income regardless of your age or "independent" status. If you want a chance at $, do not apply binding ED to any school.

Return to “Financial Aid”