Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Dollaz

Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby Dollaz » Wed May 12, 2010 10:44 am

After requesting a boost in my award, an Admis rep asked me if I have made deposits at other schools. How should I answer?

cardinalandgold

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby cardinalandgold » Wed May 12, 2010 10:45 am

Truthfully?

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Wed May 12, 2010 10:47 am

cardinalandgold wrote:Truthfully?
+1

Yes if yes. No if no.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed May 12, 2010 10:47 am

Dollaz wrote:After requesting a boost in my award, an Admis rep asked me if I have made deposits at other schools. How should I answer?

Say "no" if you did and "yes" if you didn't.

Dollaz

Postby Dollaz » Wed May 12, 2010 10:53 am

You guys really don't think there’s an angle to this question? If I say no they may think I’m not strongly considering my other options, therefore can get me at the cheaper rate. If I say yes, they may think I'm not strongly committed to them and thus not offer an upgrade.

Obviously, the converse could be true in either case. I would like to hear your opinions on which answer would grant me more leverage.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed May 12, 2010 10:56 am

Dollaz wrote:

You guys really don't think there’s an angle to this question? If I say no they may think I’m not strongly considering my other options, therefore can get me at the cheaper rate. If I say yes, they may think I'm not strongly committed to them and thus not offer an upgrade.

Obviously, the converse could be true in either case. I would like to hear your opinions on which answer would grant me more leverage.

I don't know about other law schools, but mine takes honesty pretty seriously. The worst case situation is to lie about it, they find out, and then you get no scholarship and your acceptance rescinded. Seems pretty silly to angle shoot when that's a possible consequence.

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Wed May 12, 2010 10:58 am

There's definitely an angle to the question. But, what if you say yeah when you didn't and then they ask you which school? Honesty is probably best in this scenario.

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Wed May 12, 2010 10:58 am

Regardless of their intent for asking you the question, there is really only one way for you to answer it. If you have put down another deposit, answer yes. If you have not, say no. If you have no other deposits outstanding, it may be difficult for you to leverage more money out of them because you have already made your choice. If you have other deposits, they may offer you more money if they really want you. But on the off chance that you say you are deposited at another school and they check and find out you are not, then you will be screwed. Don't take that risk, answer honestly.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Wed May 12, 2010 11:00 am

lol @ this question.

detljgh

Postby detljgh » Wed May 12, 2010 11:01 am

Last edited by detljgh on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed May 12, 2010 11:03 am

I don't know when, but at some point over the summer schools send lists of their deposits to LSAC so other schools can access them. It'd be a shame for you if those lists included dates of deposits and your school found out you lied to them in an attempt to game the system...

You are right in saying that both answers have negatives and positives, but this isn't really a question that allows you much wiggle-room. It's simply a question of fact. Answer truthfully, but that doesn't mean that you can't expound on the answer. You've done a nice job pinpointing what schools might think regarding your response--so draft a letter in which you answer truthfully and attempt to allay some of those fears about how seriously you're considering the school.

Additionally, you can make it clear (if the answer is "no") that you are considering waiting a year and that more money now would make it significantly easier. If the answer is yes, then you can say that you're considering a number of schools but, with more money, this school will look significantly better to you. Just write a polite, and honest, note.

Dollaz

Postby Dollaz » Wed May 12, 2010 2:09 pm

I think TLS users are the ish! Thanks!

Dollaz

Postby Dollaz » Wed May 12, 2010 2:51 pm

BTW I never considered lying an option. I would have just declined to respond or been ambiguous.

Return to “Financial Aid”