Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Dollaz
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 9:13 pm

Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby Dollaz » Wed May 12, 2010 10:44 am

After requesting a boost in my award, an Admis rep asked me if I have made deposits at other schools. How should I answer?

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby cardinalandgold » Wed May 12, 2010 10:45 am

Truthfully?

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby holydonkey » Wed May 12, 2010 10:47 am

cardinalandgold wrote:Truthfully?
+1

Yes if yes. No if no.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby JazzOne » Wed May 12, 2010 10:47 am

Dollaz wrote:After requesting a boost in my award, an Admis rep asked me if I have made deposits at other schools. How should I answer?

Say "no" if you did and "yes" if you didn't.

Dollaz
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby Dollaz » Wed May 12, 2010 10:53 am

cardinalandgold wrote:Truthfully?

You guys really don't think there’s an angle to this question? If I say no they may think I’m not strongly considering my other options, therefore can get me at the cheaper rate. If I say yes, they may think I'm not strongly committed to them and thus not offer an upgrade.

Obviously, the converse could be true in either case. I would like to hear your opinions on which answer would grant me more leverage.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby JazzOne » Wed May 12, 2010 10:56 am

Dollaz wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:Truthfully?

You guys really don't think there’s an angle to this question? If I say no they may think I’m not strongly considering my other options, therefore can get me at the cheaper rate. If I say yes, they may think I'm not strongly committed to them and thus not offer an upgrade.

Obviously, the converse could be true in either case. I would like to hear your opinions on which answer would grant me more leverage.

I don't know about other law schools, but mine takes honesty pretty seriously. The worst case situation is to lie about it, they find out, and then you get no scholarship and your acceptance rescinded. Seems pretty silly to angle shoot when that's a possible consequence.

User avatar
smov_operator
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby smov_operator » Wed May 12, 2010 10:58 am

There's definitely an angle to the question. But, what if you say yeah when you didn't and then they ask you which school? Honesty is probably best in this scenario.

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby cardinalandgold » Wed May 12, 2010 10:58 am

Regardless of their intent for asking you the question, there is really only one way for you to answer it. If you have put down another deposit, answer yes. If you have not, say no. If you have no other deposits outstanding, it may be difficult for you to leverage more money out of them because you have already made your choice. If you have other deposits, they may offer you more money if they really want you. But on the off chance that you say you are deposited at another school and they check and find out you are not, then you will be screwed. Don't take that risk, answer honestly.

User avatar
T14_Scholly
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby T14_Scholly » Wed May 12, 2010 11:00 am

lol @ this question.

detljgh
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:49 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby detljgh » Wed May 12, 2010 11:01 am

.
Last edited by detljgh on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby blurbz » Wed May 12, 2010 11:03 am

I don't know when, but at some point over the summer schools send lists of their deposits to LSAC so other schools can access them. It'd be a shame for you if those lists included dates of deposits and your school found out you lied to them in an attempt to game the system...

You are right in saying that both answers have negatives and positives, but this isn't really a question that allows you much wiggle-room. It's simply a question of fact. Answer truthfully, but that doesn't mean that you can't expound on the answer. You've done a nice job pinpointing what schools might think regarding your response--so draft a letter in which you answer truthfully and attempt to allay some of those fears about how seriously you're considering the school.

Additionally, you can make it clear (if the answer is "no") that you are considering waiting a year and that more money now would make it significantly easier. If the answer is yes, then you can say that you're considering a number of schools but, with more money, this school will look significantly better to you. Just write a polite, and honest, note.

Dollaz
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby Dollaz » Wed May 12, 2010 2:09 pm

I think TLS users are the ish! Thanks!

Dollaz
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Negotiating Scholarship Ammount

Postby Dollaz » Wed May 12, 2010 2:51 pm

BTW I never considered lying an option. I would have just declined to respond or been ambiguous.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest