Question About Signing Promissory Notes

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
kalvano

Question About Signing Promissory Notes

Postby kalvano » Tue May 11, 2010 3:48 pm

I got an email from Wake with the link to the website where I have to do counseling (what a joke), and sign the notes. Also a form to fill out and email back about how much I want to borrow.

However, I am still not sure if I will be able to attend Wake. Should I go ahead and sign the notes, or wait?

andreea7

Re: Question About Signing Promissory Notes

Postby andreea7 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:07 pm

kalvano wrote:I got an email from Wake with the link to the website where I have to do counseling (what a joke), and sign the notes. Also a form to fill out and email back about how much I want to borrow.

However, I am still not sure if I will be able to attend Wake. Should I go ahead and sign the notes, or wait?

Find out the deadline for doing the loan stuff and if you are not sure wait. At any rate, you can cancel the loans if I recall correctly. But also for the gradplus loans I believe the approval based on your credit check is valid only for a while. My school advised to wait applying for that loan until June 15.

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed May 12, 2010 2:12 pm

kalvano wrote:I got an email from Wake with the link to the website where I have to do counseling (what a joke), and sign the notes. Also a form to fill out and email back about how much I want to borrow.

I would hold off on actually signing the promissory notes until you are ready to commit to the school. If you need to, set up your counseling and set everything up, but I wouldn't sign the promissory notes until the last possible second.

wreckem

Postby wreckem » Wed May 12, 2010 7:53 pm

If you aren't sure you are going with Wake. Do NOT SIGN THE MPN. Wait until you decide. The loans will be there and disbursed to you in the same time frame either way. Signing and MPN and later changing your mind creates unnecessary work for you.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 12, 2010 8:12 pm

I'm definitely going to a school. I just didn't know if signing was school-specific or not.

Thanks.

Return to “Financial Aid”