Got lazy.. Need some answers ASAP Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lsbm3

New

Got lazy.. Need some answers ASAP

Post by lsbm3 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:16 pm

I applied for FAFSA.. From what I understand now I have to wait so they can tell me how much in federal loans I will be entitled to.. I believe the usual/maximum amount is $20,500?.. Also I still haven't applied for the Gradplus loan.. I have a savings of maybe 2k... my scholarship is 12k per school year.. tution 37k... and thats not counting living expenses... I need to check my credit history - what's the best website for free credit checks? I'm pretty sure i owe 60-70$ for an item I never received so i didn't want to pay for it... I shall call this company tonight and tell them I never received what they claimed to have sent me.. Hopefull that fixes the problem... I have been getting letters from this company however not from collections.. Also I'm accruing late fees for an HP account I have.. I bought a laptop 2 years ago unfortunately I broke it in half. Do I have a fair chance of getting approved for a grad plus loan if I fix these minor glitches..? I really don't have any family in the US and my friends are all broke so chances for a co-signer are extremely slim... Thanks for any help

Oh by the way:

I need money by August 1st to move and rent an apartment/room in Florida
I need a new laptop
HOW FAST DO I GET THE MONEY?!

lsbm3

New

Re: Got lazy.. Need some answers ASAP

Post by lsbm3 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:24 pm

PS i owe around 4-5k in credit cards :/

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Wed May 05, 2010 2:33 pm

lsbm3 wrote: Oh by the way:

I need a new laptop

Same here. Interested in this as well. BTW, I got only $18,500 subsidized and unsubsidized. Don't know if that's everywhere, or just my school in particular though...

stalls

New

Post by stalls » Wed May 05, 2010 2:37 pm

provided you do everything in a timely fashion, loan disbursement is not until after the first day of class at most places. some schools will offer a temporary loan/front of limited cash to assist with relocation, etc. then just deduct it from your borrowed funds when they clear. it's whackattack, i know.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed May 05, 2010 2:40 pm

stalls wrote:provided you do everything in a timely fashion, loan disbursement is not until after the first day of class at most places. some schools will offer a temporary loan/front of limited cash to assist with relocation, etc. then just deduct it from your borrowed funds when they clear. it's whackattack, i know.
+1 I believe this is mandated by federal law

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Wed May 05, 2010 2:41 pm

stalls wrote:provided you do everything in a timely fashion, loan disbursement is not until after the first day of class at most places. some schools will offer a temporary loan/front of limited cash to assist with relocation, etc. then just deduct it from your borrowed funds when they clear. it's whackattack, i know.
Is this fairly common?

wreckem

New

Post by wreckem » Wed May 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Its not federal law to disburse money after the first day of class, except for freshmen first time borrowers.

Financial Aid disbursement depends solely only on your schools ability to get it to you in a timely fashion. My school expects it to be disbursed the Weds or Thurs before the first day of class.

There is no school that will disburse money by August 1 or more than a week prior to the first day of class.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:58 pm

cartercl wrote:
Is this fairly common?
I don't know that anyone will be able to answer this except for their school. I know Michigan does but no idea about anywhere else.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:41 pm

So quick question concerning disbursement. When I fill out my loan disbursement form, am I supposed to ask for an entire year's worth so they can disburse it in halves once per semester, or do I ask for just what I need for first semester?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:47 pm

zeth006 wrote:So quick question concerning disbursement. When I fill out my loan disbursement form, am I supposed to ask for an entire year's worth so they can disburse it in halves once per semester, or do I ask for just what I need for first semester?
I answered in your thread. :roll: Patience, grasshopper.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:00 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
zeth006 wrote:So quick question concerning disbursement. When I fill out my loan disbursement form, am I supposed to ask for an entire year's worth so they can disburse it in halves once per semester, or do I ask for just what I need for first semester?
I answered in your thread. :roll: Patience, grasshopper.
Thanks. :mrgreen:

AngelAuthor

New

Post by AngelAuthor » Fri May 14, 2010 8:20 pm

wreckem wrote:Financial Aid disbursement depends solely only on your schools ability to get it to you in a timely fashion. My school expects it to be disbursed the Weds or Thurs before the first day of class.
This has always been my experience as well. Since I am going to the same school for law that I went to as an undergrad, I see no reason for there to be a difference from what they've always done: Classes start on Monday or Tuesday - Financial Aid/scholarship funds left over from tuition are direct deposited into my account the Tuesday the week before classes giving me 7 days to go buy books or whatever I need.

Certainly don't want to count on it for your August rent payment or anything. You're on your own there.

mmmadeli

New

Post by mmmadeli » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:57 am

Although I know that for my school, since I'm living in campus housing, they let me essentially pay a down-payment on my housing deposit and August rent and I signed a payment contract saying that I would pay the rest when my loans are dispersed. So if you are living on campus you may want to talk to your housing office about an arrangement.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Andreeai

New

Post by Andreeai » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:35 am

Assuming you are going to UM, your loan will be disbursed August 18, which is the first day of class. If you are doing direct deposit for the remaining of the funds after tuition and fees are deducted, you will get the money in your bank account around August 20-21.
lsbm3 wrote:I applied for FAFSA.. From what I understand now I have to wait so they can tell me how much in federal loans I will be entitled to.. I believe the usual/maximum amount is $20,500?.. Also I still haven't applied for the Gradplus loan.. I have a savings of maybe 2k... my scholarship is 12k per school year.. tution 37k... and thats not counting living expenses... I need to check my credit history - what's the best website for free credit checks? I'm pretty sure i owe 60-70$ for an item I never received so i didn't want to pay for it... I shall call this company tonight and tell them I never received what they claimed to have sent me.. Hopefull that fixes the problem... I have been getting letters from this company however not from collections.. Also I'm accruing late fees for an HP account I have.. I bought a laptop 2 years ago unfortunately I broke it in half. Do I have a fair chance of getting approved for a grad plus loan if I fix these minor glitches..? I really don't have any family in the US and my friends are all broke so chances for a co-signer are extremely slim... Thanks for any help

Oh by the way:

I need a new laptop

AsylumPB

Bronze

Post by AsylumPB » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:05 pm

lsbm3 wrote:I applied for FAFSA.. From what I understand now I have to wait so they can tell me how much in federal loans I will be entitled to.. I believe the usual/maximum amount is $20,500?.. Also I still haven't applied for the Gradplus loan.. I have a savings of maybe 2k... my scholarship is 12k per school year.. tution 37k... and thats not counting living expenses... I need to check my credit history - what's the best website for free credit checks? I'm pretty sure i owe 60-70$ for an item I never received so i didn't want to pay for it... I shall call this company tonight and tell them I never received what they claimed to have sent me.. Hopefull that fixes the problem... I have been getting letters from this company however not from collections.. Also I'm accruing late fees for an HP account I have.. I bought a laptop 2 years ago unfortunately I broke it in half. Do I have a fair chance of getting approved for a grad plus loan if I fix these minor glitches..? I really don't have any family in the US and my friends are all broke so chances for a co-signer are extremely slim... Thanks for any help

Oh by the way:

I need a new laptop
The best way to get a free a credit report is the government site annualcreditreport.com. You are entitled to one free credit bureau from each agency per year. I would check this asap and see what is showing up delinquent. If anything is bad, get it corrected asap, as a lot of the time, it will take 2-3 months or more to show up on your credit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”