Applied Late, Got No Schol $. Should I Reapply?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Motavia

Applied Late, Got No Schol $. Should I Reapply?

Postby Motavia » Sun May 02, 2010 1:41 pm

Hi All,

I applied to the school I want to go to (Lewis and Clark) and got in. However, I applied in early Feb and they sent me a letter saying "We considered you for scholarship money but we already gave it all away."

What I'm curious about is whether L&C would be likely to offer me any money if I reapply in October. I really would rather go to school starting in the fall as I feel like I'm just getting older (turning 25 this month), but if I thought they would even give me even $10k a year I would wait for sure.

My LSAT is 164 and my Undergrad GPA was 3.55. Also, my grandfather attended L&C's earlier incarnation in the 70's, if that matters.

JaLeCa

Re: Applied Late, Got No Schol $. Should I Reapply?

Postby JaLeCa » Sun May 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Motavia wrote:Hi All,

I applied to the school I want to go to (Lewis and Clark) and got in. However, I applied in early Feb and they sent me a letter saying "We considered you for scholarship money but we already gave it all away."

What I'm curious about is whether L&C would be likely to offer me any money if I reapply in October. I really would rather go to school starting in the fall as I feel like I'm just getting older (turning 25 this month), but if I thought they would even give me even $10k a year I would wait for sure.

My LSAT is 164 and my Undergrad GPA was 3.55. Also, my grandfather attended L&C's earlier incarnation in the 70's, if that matters.

I am reapplying just for these reasons. As early as possible next cycle. A third tier school gave me 14k late, but it is still not enough.

Motavia

Postby Motavia » Sun May 02, 2010 2:09 pm

Yeah, my main question is whether my stats will warrant scholarship money if I reapply super early.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Sun May 02, 2010 2:16 pm

A lot of schools stress that if you apply late in the cycle, their money has already run out. So, your stats probably do qualify you. Look at lawschoolnumbers.com and see if anyone with stats similar to your own had gotten money from the same school.

MikeAttack

Postby MikeAttack » Sun May 02, 2010 2:30 pm

I got 20K a year, and wasn't too far off your scores. 166/3.68. But I applied very, very early (early October) and L&C was actually the first law school to accept me (in late November)... good luck with whatever it is that you decide to do!

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon May 03, 2010 2:17 pm

You can check at LSN to see what people with similar stats got, and to see if applying earlier seemed to help.

http://lewisandclark.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants

There's no guarantee you would get money if you reapplied next year. I would think long and hard before taking a year off, unless you can somehow improve your LSAT significantly. That would perhaps make you more likely to receive some scholarship funds, but again, nothing is guaranteed. You need to weigh the opportunity cost of waiting another year for maybe a better deal, versus forgoing a post-graduation paycheck for a year on the other end of law school. It might make a difference as to whether you have a job right now. But like you said, you aren't getting younger. If you feel like you want to start law school, it might be worth it to just jump in now.

Return to “Financial Aid”