Declaration and Certification of Finances

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Declaration and Certification of Finances

Postby calicocat » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Question for Canadian students studying in the States,

Being a Canadian citizen, I am not eligible for federal loans so I had to take out a private US loan. However, this loan only provides funds on a year by year basis and in order to process an I-20 and get a visa I need to prove funds for the full cost of attendance in my Declaration and Certification of Finances. I am wondering how this is possible to do when I can't take out the full loan. I am pretty sure that all private US loan companies have this policy but I am using CitiAssist.

Tyia

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Declaration and Certification of Finances

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:54 pm

calicocat wrote:Question for Canadian students studying in the States,

Being a Canadian citizen, I am not eligible for federal loans so I had to take out a private US loan. However, this loan only provides funds on a year by year basis and in order to process an I-20 and get a visa I need to prove funds for the full cost of attendance in my Declaration and Certification of Finances. I am wondering how this is possible to do when I can't take out the full loan. I am pretty sure that all private US loan companies have this policy but I am using CitiAssist.

Tyia


I thought you only had to show proof for the full cost of the first year of attendance?

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Declaration and Certification of Finances

Postby calicocat » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:56 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
calicocat wrote:Question for Canadian students studying in the States,

Being a Canadian citizen, I am not eligible for federal loans so I had to take out a private US loan. However, this loan only provides funds on a year by year basis and in order to process an I-20 and get a visa I need to prove funds for the full cost of attendance in my Declaration and Certification of Finances. I am wondering how this is possible to do when I can't take out the full loan. I am pretty sure that all private US loan companies have this policy but I am using CitiAssist.

Tyia


I thought you only had to show proof for the full cost of the first year of attendance?

It's funny cause that's what I thought too but apparently not.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Declaration and Certification of Finances

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:57 pm

calicocat wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:
calicocat wrote:Question for Canadian students studying in the States,

Being a Canadian citizen, I am not eligible for federal loans so I had to take out a private US loan. However, this loan only provides funds on a year by year basis and in order to process an I-20 and get a visa I need to prove funds for the full cost of attendance in my Declaration and Certification of Finances. I am wondering how this is possible to do when I can't take out the full loan. I am pretty sure that all private US loan companies have this policy but I am using CitiAssist.

Tyia


I thought you only had to show proof for the full cost of the first year of attendance?

It's funny cause that's what I thought too but apparently not.


Can you get a student visa for the first year only and then renew? A quick google search shows instructions for submitting an updated I-20 signed by the school and new financial info.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Declaration and Certification of Finances

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:58 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
calicocat wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:
calicocat wrote:Question for Canadian students studying in the States,

Being a Canadian citizen, I am not eligible for federal loans so I had to take out a private US loan. However, this loan only provides funds on a year by year basis and in order to process an I-20 and get a visa I need to prove funds for the full cost of attendance in my Declaration and Certification of Finances. I am wondering how this is possible to do when I can't take out the full loan. I am pretty sure that all private US loan companies have this policy but I am using CitiAssist.

Tyia


I thought you only had to show proof for the full cost of the first year of attendance?

It's funny cause that's what I thought too but apparently not.


Can you get a student visa for the first year only and then renew? A quick google search shows instructions for submitting an updated I-20 signed by the school and new financial info.


--LinkRemoved--

FWIW, Emerson says one year in their instructions. Is it possible the visa is only ever good for a year?

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Declaration and Certification of Finances

Postby calicocat » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:07 pm

bump

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Declaration and Certification of Finances

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:17 pm

..

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Declaration and Certification of Finances

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:21 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
calicocat wrote:bump

Usually at this point, I warn people not to bump until it falls off the first page. :twisted:

That said, I think the bigger problem is that most of us don't have a clue as to the answer. Have you tried the Financial Aid forum?


I think this is her passive aggressive Canadian way of saying she doesn't want my help in particular...




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests