KY Residency Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Thunder Jones

Bronze

KY Residency

Post by Thunder Jones » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:24 pm

Any one have experience getting residency in KY? I'm in a Louisville and am really considering it. My wife can get a full-time job in KY and we may even buy a house depending on affordability.

brandynbeavers

New

Re: KY Residency

Post by brandynbeavers » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:36 pm

Live in KY for 6 months and have proof (either lease, or that you bought a house) get your licenses and car tags switched over to KY and the fact that your wife would be working in state should make the process super easy.

AsylumPB

Bronze

Post by AsylumPB » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:53 pm

You will want to call the admissions office for an official answer, but I am pretty sure that you have to be a KY resident for at least three years to qualify for in-state at UofL.

DCPI23

New

Post by DCPI23 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:41 pm

As someone who attends U of L and who went through this process, I feel like I can answer your question. Typically you need to have lived in the state for a year for a non-school reason, before you can become a resident for tuition purposes. I moved here from out of state, but my wife was a life-long resident of KY before leaving for college. I was able to get in-state tuition after my first year, but I had done all of the little things (registered to vote, got a driver's license, etc.) and we purchased a house.

The university will not give you a clear answer to this question. All of the forms that you fill out to switch from out-of-state to in-state will be very vague about what you must have done in order to become a resident. Basically the forms tell you what they look at and that they look at the application as a whole, not like you must accomplish x, y and z in order to become a resident.

I was told by numerous faculty that had I not been married to a life-long resident and owned property, then I would not have qualified for in-state tuition.

PM me if you have any questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”