Generous law school scholarships?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
chia99

Generous law school scholarships?

Postby chia99 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:38 pm

Hello I have just started applying for law schools and have a scholarship question.

I have heard that schools often offer scholarship money to accepted applicants that range based on the strength of your application. I was wondering what factors law schools consider when awarding scholarships, what school are known to be generous in terms of offering money, and what other options a student might have if school scholarship options are exhausted.

Also, does anyone know about Seattle University's reputation when it comes to awarding scholarships?

Thank you.

jman77

Re: Generous law school scholarships?

Postby jman77 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:42 pm

chia99 wrote:Hello I have just started applying for law schools and have a scholarship question.

I have heard that schools often offer scholarship money to accepted applicants that range based on the strength of your application. I was wondering what factors law schools consider when awarding scholarships, what school are known to be generous in terms of offering money, and what other options a student might have if school scholarship options are exhausted.

Also, does anyone know about Seattle University's reputation when it comes to awarding scholarships?

Thank you.

Two main factors: Your LSAT score and UGPA in relation to the schools' medians.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Most scholarships are dependent on LSAT/UGPA. Some schools have scholarships earmarked for graduates of certain undergrad schools or applicants of certain races and so forth.

You can see median LSAT/UGPA at each school and the percentage of scholarships awarded in different categories (full, half, less than half, etc.) at http://www.officialguide.lsac.org.

You can get stats for all schools in one place in the "Official Guide" excel spreadsheets: http://www.abanet.org/legaled/statistics/stats.html.

edit: also, you are more likely to get a scholarship if you apply earlier in the application season (october/november/december) rather than later.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:57 pm

The higher your numbers, the better. WUSTL seems to be known for buying high LSAT's, and I know SMU and Wake are pretty generous.

Return to “Financial Aid”