New Laptop

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Shaggier1

New Laptop

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:50 am

Planning on getting a new laptop for 1L. I have read that you can increase your aid package (read: loans) in order to pay for a new computer. Anyone have experience with this?

cardinalandgold

Re: New Laptop

Postby cardinalandgold » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:53 am

Michigan offers a one time loan increase (I believe the amount is up to $2,500) for the purchase of a laptop. You have to request it from the Financial Aid Office, and provide them a copy of the receipt or a quote for the system you are purchasing. I would contact the Financial Aid office at your school to see if they offer something similar.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:56 am

Shaggier1 wrote:Planning on getting a new laptop for 1L. I have read that you can increase your aid package (read: loans) in order to pay for a new computer. Anyone have experience with this?

Just use the loan money you'll already be getting. You don't want to live on the maximum you could take out unless you must. That said, many schools will increase it once. Check with the school.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:22 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:Planning on getting a new laptop for 1L. I have read that you can increase your aid package (read: loans) in order to pay for a new computer. Anyone have experience with this?

Just use the loan money you'll already be getting. You don't want to live on the maximum you could take out unless you must. That said, many schools will increase it once. Check with the school.

WHY NOT? TAX PAYERS WILL PAY FOR OUR EDUCATION.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:59 pm

Just use the loan money you'll already be getting. You don't want to live on the maximum you could take out unless you must or plan to use IBR. That said, many schools will increase it once. Check with the school.

OP, you can submit a Budget Appeal Form for Berkeley to request $3000 in extra loans for a computer. Apparently they also allow $3000 in relocation expenses and almost $7000 for high rent and utilities.
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6362.htm

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:33 pm

im_blue wrote:

Just use the loan money you'll already be getting. You don't want to live on the maximum you could take out unless you must or plan to use IBR. That said, many schools will increase it once. Check with the school.

OP, you can submit a Budget Appeal Form for Berkeley to request $3000 in extra loans for a computer. Apparently they also allow $3000 in relocation expenses and almost $7000 for high rent and utilities.

Is there anywhere in California that doesn't have high rent and utilities? HAYOH!

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Philo38 wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Is there anywhere in California that doesn't have high rent and utilities? HAYOH!

What's ridiculous is that someone intent on using IBR could (and should) add the standard $1,159 rent/utilities per month to the $771 budget appeal request allowance and get a nice $1,930/month place on the taxpayer's dime.

tar2009

Postby tar2009 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:48 pm

any idea which laptop you all will be buying?

Return to “Financial Aid”