New car or used car? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
kalvano

Diamond

Re: New car or used car?

Post by kalvano » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:30 pm

im_blue wrote:
mmmd wrote:it seems most people are on the "private seller, used" bandwagon.

why not certified pre-owned with a warranty? that's pretty big risk alleviation right there.
Used cars are a lot more reliable these days than they used to be, and you can easily find private-seller cars with full maintenance records. CPO cars have high dealer markups for those who are willing to pay more than they should for peace of mind.

Not really that high. The certification costs money, and some manufacturers allow new car finance on CPO cars.

They are a pretty good option, it just depends on what you get for your CPO money. Most of the best CPO programs are only on the higher-end luxury cars.

mmmd

New

Post by mmmd » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:35 am

it's more than just "peace of mind."

it's incredibly limited funds. it's almost a case of penny-wise/pound foolish.

is there anything to look out for with certifieds?

like, if you don't mind, what would your impression be of this car --LinkRemoved-- and the warranty. clearly a lot hinges on when the service date was, but assuming it's recent.

MSachmorov

New

Post by MSachmorov » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:20 pm

Don't lease a car (if you can afford it) and NEVER buy a used car. It's not worth the hassle and uncertainty. If you can afford it, get the new car. That way you won't have to worry about who did what to it and if the previous owner took good care of it. Also, if you buy it new you can get a good warranty from the dealer, just play your cards right.

Also, I think you could possibly get a better new car than a ford...I'd stay away from American if possible.

acash09

New

Post by acash09 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:30 pm

MSachmorov wrote:NEVER buy a used car
I don't agree. I bought a 2004 car this past November with 40k miles on it. Very reasonable price & reliable brand. I bought it from a private owner and got a Carfax report. Its even still under the original warranty which transferred from the original owner to me. There ARE good used cars out there.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:03 pm

MSachmorov wrote:Don't lease a car (if you can afford it) and NEVER buy a used car. It's not worth the hassle and uncertainty. If you can afford it, get the new car. That way you won't have to worry about who did what to it and if the previous owner took good care of it. Also, if you buy it new you can get a good warranty from the dealer, just play your cards right.

Also, I think you could possibly get a better new car than a ford...I'd stay away from American if possible.

Just completely ignore this post. I'm too lazy to do the strike-out thing, but it's all balderdash and poppycock.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”