LRAP vs. CCRAA?? can anyone help?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Think_lax86

LRAP vs. CCRAA?? can anyone help?

Postby Think_lax86 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:06 am

Can anyone enlighten me on what exactly the CCRAA is? I got accepted to Pace Law School in the hopes of practicing environmental law after I graduate, and wanted to find out about their LRAP program. I called the school and the lady that was working there was filling in for someone else and actually said that Paces LRAP program isn't that great. She did say, however, that there is a government type LRAP called the College Cost Reduction and Access Act (CCRAA) that students have used to forgive there loans. Is this true? the government will forgive your loans if your school has a crappy LRAP program? is it the same 10 years doing PI work and than your loans are forgiven? Why would any school have a LRAP program than if the government is willing to pick up the tab?

Maybe I am being a bit skeptical on this whole thing, but I just dont want to drop close to $100,000 to get my JD degree from a tier 3 school in the hopes of getting this LRAP government program, only to find out its not all peaches and cream. If anyone can break this down for me I would really appreciate it. I am really knew to this LRAP thing and am trying to find out if its legit and if I would qualify. Thanks in advance.

de5igual

Re: LRAP vs. CCRAA?? can anyone help?

Postby de5igual » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:14 am

Think_lax86 wrote:Can anyone enlighten me on what exactly the CCRAA is? I got accepted to Pace Law School in the hopes of practicing environmental law after I graduate, and wanted to find out about their LRAP program. I called the school and the lady that was working there was filling in for someone else and actually said that Paces LRAP program isn't that great. She did say, however, that there is a government type LRAP called the College Cost Reduction and Access Act (CCRAA) that students have used to forgive there loans. Is this true? the government will forgive your loans if your school has a crappy LRAP program? is it the same 10 years doing PI work and than your loans are forgiven? Why would any school have a LRAP program than if the government is willing to pick up the tab?

Maybe I am being a bit skeptical on this whole thing, but I just dont want to drop close to $100,000 to get my JD degree from a tier 3 school in the hopes of getting this LRAP government program, only to find out its not all peaches and cream. If anyone can break this down for me I would really appreciate it. I am really knew to this LRAP thing and am trying to find out if its legit and if I would qualify. Thanks in advance.

http://www.ibrinfo.org/

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:45 am

f0bolous wrote:
Think_lax86 wrote:Can anyone enlighten me on what exactly the CCRAA is? I got accepted to Pace Law School in the hopes of practicing environmental law after I graduate, and wanted to find out about their LRAP program. I called the school and the lady that was working there was filling in for someone else and actually said that Paces LRAP program isn't that great. She did say, however, that there is a government type LRAP called the College Cost Reduction and Access Act (CCRAA) that students have used to forgive there loans. Is this true? the government will forgive your loans if your school has a crappy LRAP program? is it the same 10 years doing PI work and than your loans are forgiven? Why would any school have a LRAP program than if the government is willing to pick up the tab?

http://www.ibrinfo.org/

Oh man, I've never seen that video. Shit is adorable.

Think_lax86

Postby Think_lax86 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:42 pm

haha, that is awesome... thanks alot, that video was great... so than what jobs fall within the realm of this IBR public interest coverage thing? If I practiced environmental law for a non-profit or something like that I am assuming I would be forgiven after 10 years. How about if I work for the goverment? EPA may be a bit optomistic but what about that kinda stuff? does that qualify for IBR? What if I owned my own law firm practicing environmental law... does that qualify? and what if I switch jobs during the 10 years... as long as its public interest work I am doing than am i in the clear?

Thanks again.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:56 pm

Think_lax86 wrote:haha, that is awesome... thanks alot, that video was great... so than what jobs fall within the realm of this IBR public interest coverage thing? If I practiced environmental law for a non-profit or something like that I am assuming I would be forgiven after 10 years. How about if I work for the goverment? EPA may be a bit optomistic but what about that kinda stuff? does that qualify for IBR? What if I owned my own law firm practicing environmental law... does that qualify? and what if I switch jobs during the 10 years... as long as its public interest work I am doing than am i in the clear?

Thanks again.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/attac ... _FINAL.pdf

Sclerenchyma

Postby Sclerenchyma » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:07 pm

From the same site:
* are employed by any nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization;
* are employed by the federal government, a state government, local government, or tribal government (this includes the military and public schools and colleges); or
* serve in a full-time AmeriCorps or Peace Corps position.

So yes, an environmental law non-profit in the vein of say, Sierra Club, or a government position with the EPA would qualify. Opening your own firm would qualify for IBR, but not the 10 year forgiveness unless you filed as a 501(c)(3). (ie you started your own clinic or advocacy group rather than a for-profit firm)

As for switching jobs I believe it makes no difference as long as both qualify. The point not that it is forgiven after 120 months but after 120 qualifying payments. If you are in a non-qualifying job payments made while at the job simply don't count towards the 10 year forgiveness.

Think_lax86

Postby Think_lax86 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Wow thanks alot for all of your help guys... This has really answered a ton of questions and concerns I have been facing... One other thing than that I am having a difficult time with though is, I got accepted to Pace Law School (#3-4 environmental law programs in the nation, but tier 3 law school)... I really don't see myself switching my goals to practice corporate law after a year of law school, not that I would have the opportunity anyway coming from a tier 3, nor do I think I would want to do anything but practice environmental law... What I am trying to figure out is, I was offered $14,000 a year to attend Pace Law school which would have me come out owing around $75,000-$80,000 in loans because I can commute... Is it worth going to a tier 3 law school when the legal market is so shaky right now and when only top law school graduates are really the most marketable right now?

I want to get the best education I can and at the same time I don't want to screw myself over by going to a very low ranked law school. Taking one more year off was the plan, and I have to decide by this friday because thats when the deposit is due. I don't want to make a rushed decision but I don't want to regret not going because I was scarred of the implications of my decision. I have a job paying about $30,000... I plan on doing an internship with the DA's office this summer just to get a general perspective on a different area of law (Criminal law) and to give me an idea of what lawyers actually do... and if I do defer for a year I plan on interning for a local law firm... I was also planning on taking the LSAT again to maybe bump up my scholarship or bump of the list of schools I would be eligible for gaining acceptance to... Any additional advice would be great... Thank you thus far for everything, the information has been extremely helpful...

As a Public interest lawyer/environmental attorney... what are the job prospects/salary projections? I have looked up many different sources on this topic but am having a hard time compiling "accurate" projections...

Think_lax86

Postby Think_lax86 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:19 pm

I dont mean to double post but, the IBR monthly payment calculations only take into consideration how much you make and your family size? not how much your loans are? So lets say I make $60,000 a year and have a wife and owe $80,000 debt... and than lets say I have the same job and family household but owe $150,000... I would be paying the same amount of money per month and be forgiven after 10 years?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:44 pm

Think_lax86 wrote:Wow thanks alot for all of your help guys... This has really answered a ton of questions and concerns I have been facing... One other thing than that I am having a difficult time with though is, I got accepted to Pace Law School (#3-4 environmental law programs in the nation, but tier 3 law school)... I really don't see myself switching my goals to practice corporate law after a year of law school, not that I would have the opportunity anyway coming from a tier 3, nor do I think I would want to do anything but practice environmental law... What I am trying to figure out is, I was offered $14,000 a year to attend Pace Law school which would have me come out owing around $75,000-$80,000 in loans because I can commute... Is it worth going to a tier 3 law school when the legal market is so shaky right now and when only top law school graduates are really the most marketable right now?

I want to get the best education I can and at the same time I don't want to screw myself over by going to a very low ranked law school. Taking one more year off was the plan, and I have to decide by this friday because thats when the deposit is due. I don't want to make a rushed decision but I don't want to regret not going because I was scarred of the implications of my decision. I have a job paying about $30,000... I plan on doing an internship with the DA's office this summer just to get a general perspective on a different area of law (Criminal law) and to give me an idea of what lawyers actually do... and if I do defer for a year I plan on interning for a local law firm... I was also planning on taking the LSAT again to maybe bump up my scholarship or bump of the list of schools I would be eligible for gaining acceptance to... Any additional advice would be great... Thank you thus far for everything, the information has been extremely helpful...

As a Public interest lawyer/environmental attorney... what are the job prospects/salary projections? I have looked up many different sources on this topic but am having a hard time compiling "accurate" projections...

How many times have you taken the LSAT? How much did you study? Unless you have already taken it three times, and you studied your ass off doing all the right things, I would probably suggest retaking. Sounds like you have a nice gig lined up this summer, so it's not like you will be sitting around like a slug.

From my understanding (which basically stems from general conceptions on here), specialty rankings don't really matter much. I'm not familiar with Pace's reputation in NYC and beyond, but like you have noted, it is still a T3 school and the job market isn't exactly booming. In regards to PI, my understanding (again, take with a grain of salt) is that it is still competitive to find work and probably more so in environmental law, which I think a lot of people want to do. As far as salary, you are probably looking at $35,000 - $50,000 a year.

Think_lax86

Postby Think_lax86 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:44 pm

I took the LSAT 3 times already, BUT, by the time the October/December test for 2010 comes around I will be eligible to take the test again because the first time I took it falls out of the range for the 3 times in 2 years thing... With that being said, yes I feel like I did study my butt off for that dam test but there were things I think I can do differently this time around... I took Kaplan and followed that instruction by the book... I have recently picked up the Logic Games Bible and the Logical Reasoning Bible and plan on studying them extensively because of the great reviews I have read... My reading comprehension has also been getting much better... I have been reading alot more and plan on really working on that area this time around... I feel like I can bump my score at least 4-6 points....

35,000-50,000? I dont mean to sound like some greedy D-bag but I cant get over how low the amount of pay is for people who invest close to 140,000 in getting a JD degree, to only come out making such low salaries... It really makes me question this whole thing... Thank you though for the advice and the positive insight

Return to “Financial Aid”