Columbia Finaid 2010

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
NYC2013
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:49 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby NYC2013 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:54 am

An MPN is **NOT** a loan application. You can fill out an MPN which just approves your eligibility to receive the loans, but i'm pretty sure you still need to do the direct loan application when it comes online to choose the amount of your loans and get approved for that.

You can do the MPNs now, I recommend doing the entrance counseling early just because it's inconvenient and takes a few minutes, but the MPNs are quick and easy, just need to wait for them to be ready for loan applications

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sat May 22, 2010 6:12 am

,.,..
Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Fri May 28, 2010 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

andreea7
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby andreea7 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:09 am

NYC2013 wrote:An MPN is **NOT** a loan application. You can fill out an MPN which just approves your eligibility to receive the loans, but i'm pretty sure you still need to do the direct loan application when it comes online to choose the amount of your loans and get approved for that.

You can do the MPNs now, I recommend doing the entrance counseling early just because it's inconvenient and takes a few minutes, but the MPNs are quick and easy, just need to wait for them to be ready for loan applications


Thanks for clarifying -- I thought it meant the entire application.

huckabees
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby huckabees » Mon May 24, 2010 12:40 pm

So is everyone still waiting to get the loan email from CLS? I haven't done anything yet aside from filling out the forms we should've submitted by March 1. Not sure if I should have? Thanks.

andreea7
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby andreea7 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:09 pm

huckabees wrote:So is everyone still waiting to get the loan email from CLS? I haven't done anything yet aside from filling out the forms we should've submitted by March 1. Not sure if I should have? Thanks.

You can fill out the MPN as pointed above. seems the actual loan application is not due until June 15 so we are just waiting on instructions from CLS

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby swc65 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Yay finally got the email today with instructions! Hopefully they'll have my damn money by august ;)

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby Moxie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:49 pm

swc65 wrote:I just got my aid package from Columbia- very impressed.

I received between 60k and 70k in grants.

I was also ED with a GPA below the 25%tile so I think this is a strong indication that need-based aid does exist outside of HYS.

I thought I would start a thread if anyone else wants to share their finaid details. If not, then /thread and fail.


Awesome to hear! I received some generous aid from HLS, a little over $50k, and from CLS, of about 65k. (But my parents and I have almost no personal assets, so it wasn't particularly surprising)

User avatar
TobiasFunke
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby TobiasFunke » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:47 pm

.
Last edited by TobiasFunke on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andreea7
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby andreea7 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:03 pm

You should apply for the GradPlus loans through a different Web site. You only do the MPNs on the studentloans.gob web site. Didn't you receive an email from Columbia regarding this? just type Columbia Law School financial aid in google and their web page will direct you

protokurios
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:49 am

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby protokurios » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:13 pm

Go to the links in the section "Request Your Loan Amounts" on this page: http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_stu ... /Loan_Apps

User avatar
babaghanouj
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby babaghanouj » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:17 pm

OK, so we don't have to go through the PLUS application on studentloans.gov, right? That's definitely what it looks like...

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby swc65 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:00 pm

babaghanouj wrote:OK, so we don't have to go through the PLUS application on studentloans.gov, right? That's definitely what it looks like...



On the federal site you only fill out the MPN for Plus and Stafford.

Columbia has its own form for applying for the loans. http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_stu ... /Loan_Apps

Just follow the instructions. I had to fill out four forms. On the federal site one form for Stafford MPN and one form for the Plus MPN. On Columbia's site I had on loan amount request/application for Stafford and one loan amount request/application for the Plus loan.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby swc65 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Did anyone receive any kind of approval letter for the PLUS loans? I submitted my paperwork a long time ago but I have not heard a word from CLS or the DOE.

User avatar
babaghanouj
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby babaghanouj » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:32 pm

swc65 wrote:Did anyone receive any kind of approval letter for the PLUS loans? I submitted my paperwork a long time ago but I have not heard a word from CLS or the DOE.

Same here. That's why I was wondering if there was another step...it would be nice to know soon if I'm approved or not for PLUS loans...

andreea7
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby andreea7 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:52 am

babaghanouj wrote:
swc65 wrote:Did anyone receive any kind of approval letter for the PLUS loans? I submitted my paperwork a long time ago but I have not heard a word from CLS or the DOE.

Same here. That's why I was wondering if there was another step...it would be nice to know soon if I'm approved or not for PLUS loans...


I called them because I will be out of the country for a while and really need to know what's going on. They said they are just putting the files together now for everyone and letting us know if anything is missing. Then they will start doing the certifications. So it will be a while....

User avatar
babaghanouj
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby babaghanouj » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Any word on loan approval?

andreea7
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby andreea7 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:29 am

babaghanouj wrote:Any word on loan approval?


ugh, no, but good to know I am not the only one who is not hearing anything....doesn't school start in about seven weeks? what's up with this?

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby swc65 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:45 am

andreea7 wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:Any word on loan approval?


ugh, no, but good to know I am not the only one who is not hearing anything....doesn't school start in about seven weeks? what's up with this?



Apparently you should hear next week. I called last week and they were just getting to the approvals and sending out letters. I hope this doesn't delay getting refunds!

User avatar
rx3r
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby rx3r » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:41 pm

swc65 wrote:
andreea7 wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:Any word on loan approval?


ugh, no, but good to know I am not the only one who is not hearing anything....doesn't school start in about seven weeks? what's up with this?



Apparently you should hear next week. I called last week and they were just getting to the approvals and sending out letters. I hope this doesn't delay getting refunds!


GAH Columbia you are driving me crazy! :o

User avatar
Alyssa
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby Alyssa » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:50 pm

I just got an email that my e-bill is available. Was so excited for a minute there... but the statement just had the $500 credit, no tuition bill or loan info yet. :(

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby CG614 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:53 pm

Alyssa wrote:I just got an email that my e-bill is available. Was so excited for a minute there... but the statement just had the $500 credit, no tuition bill or loan info yet. :(

+1. I noticed that a Perkins MPN is available on there. Anyone fill it out?

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby CG614 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Just spoke with Columbia Fin Aid. I was told that the delay in getting a response about the Grad Plus loans is due to the Federal Government having a backlog with the new system. There is no definite time frame on when we should expect the response. The person I spoke with did say that Columbia is aware of how late this information is getting to us and they will work with people. They also said that we aren't actually billed until after we get there and the payments won't be due until Mid-September. So, I think we can all rest a little easier now, at least I am. :)

User avatar
babaghanouj
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Columbia Finaid 2010

Postby babaghanouj » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:42 pm

CG614 wrote:Just spoke with Columbia Fin Aid. I was told that the delay in getting a response about the Grad Plus loans is due to the Federal Government having a backlog with the new system. There is no definite time frame on when we should expect the response. The person I spoke with did say that Columbia is aware of how late this information is getting to us and they will work with people. They also said that we aren't actually billed until after we get there and the payments won't be due until Mid-September. So, I think we can all rest a little easier now, at least I am. :)

Thanks! That's good to know.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests