Negotiating $ - Using acceptances at higher ranked vs. TTT

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
futurelawyer413

Negotiating $ - Using acceptances at higher ranked vs. TTT

Postby futurelawyer413 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Ok, I hope I can word this right b/c I have a feeling people can get easily confused, lol... (i moved it to this thread, b/c i realized i had it in the wrong one when i originally posted)

Been accepted to what some may refer to a TTT (at sticker), but also at two schools (each Ranked 70-80) sticker also. The first ranked I can get in-state tuition from, and second is similar to paying tuition at the TTT, i.e. straight up sticker. I haven't got any $ from any of these 3 schools. I want to attend the TTT with $ (largely due to personal family reasons) by telling them that I got admitted to the other schools, which are each ranked 70-80. How would you negotiate something like this and is this even possible? I would imagine they would ask for proof (i.e. acceptance letter from one or both of the 70-80 ranked schools)

I know there's a pretty good thread on "the polite/professional way for asking $", but further wanted to know if a) people go through scenarios as I described above (e.g. is this common or uncommon), and b) what are the potential chances of getting ANY $?

Thanks TLS!

futurelawyer413

Re: Negotiating $ - Using acceptances at higher ranked vs. TTT

Postby futurelawyer413 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:54 pm

BUmP!

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:54 pm

any ideas?

APHill

Postby APHill » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:10 pm

You need to choose one of the two TT schools, scan the acceptance letter, and write an email to TTT (with scanned TT acceptance letter attached) stating that you somewhat torn between the two schools and ask if TTT can do anything to help make your decision easier.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:19 pm

Its a little awkward but here is the basic format:

Dear XX School,

I am a recently admitted student and excited about the prospect of attending xx in the Fall. At this time, financial concerns are paramount in my law school decisions. Money aside, XX is my first choice despite admissions at Y and Z. Y has offered a generous. I am not familiar with the school's policy on matching scholarships, but I respectfully request I be reconsidered for merit aid. If financial aid were to be increased significantly, I can state unequivocally I would enroll at XX. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Future Lawyer

This is all part of the process and as long as your are polite and respectful you shouldn't worry about offending anyone. You have nothing to lose by asking. Good luck.

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:47 am

APHill wrote:You need to choose one of the two TT schools, scan the acceptance letter, and write an email to TTT (with scanned TT acceptance letter attached) stating that you somewhat torn between the two schools and ask if TTT can do anything to help make your decision easier.

this is a great idea - brief and to the point. I am highly considering doing this, thank you!

jks289 wrote:Its a little awkward but here is the basic format:

Dear XX School,

I am a recently admitted student and excited about the prospect of attending xx in the Fall. At this time, financial concerns are paramount in my law school decisions. Money aside, XX is my first choice despite admissions at Y and Z. Y has offered a generous. I am not familiar with the school's policy on matching scholarships, but I respectfully request I be reconsidered for merit aid. If financial aid were to be increased significantly, I can state unequivocally I would enroll at XX. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Future Lawyer

This is all part of the process and as long as your are polite and respectful you shouldn't worry about offending anyone. You have nothing to lose by asking. Good luck.

I like the format. Only problem is I don't have any scholly from anyone. If I were to delete the red, would the email still be appropriate to send?

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:04 pm

friendly bump!

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:45 pm

Well, instead of Y has offered me generous $$, simply show the difference in total cost-of-attendance. IF we knew the schools it would be easier, but say that the TTT costs 30k per year and the T2 costs 18k per year in-state. Just say that "my total cost for attending school would be 36k lower over three years at T2. Thus, I am respectfully requesting that TTT re-evaluate me for merit aid". In fact, if the TTT has a higher COL, you could even include that as part of your negotiation. Alternately, if TTT has a lower COL, focus only on the tuition difference.

Sometimes, if you leave your demands open-ended enough, TTT might even go beyond "closing the gap" and even make it cheaper for you to attend. Of course, I also have come to the conclusion that students should ask for a fee waiver to and throw a few applications at whichever schools in their target AND safety ranges have the reputation for being most generous. Then, use their scholarships as possible leverage.

Return to “Financial Aid”