Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
as stars burn

Silver

Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Post by as stars burn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:58 pm

Full question: Can schools rescind their admissions offer if you try negotitating scholarship money?

Just curious, and I worry too much.

I have already put a seat deposit down and will most likely attend the school regardless as to if they increase my scholarship or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I've had a few schools extend the deposit deadline for me and have more money offered to me at similarly ranked schools. I just wrote a nice, professional, straight-forward email to the admissions office telling them my seat deposit is already down, but that I received more money and deposit extensions at other schools and if there was anything I could do to be considered for a scholarship increase. With my deposit down already I'm sure they can see that I'm serious about going.

Any insight would be helpful!

hiromoto45

Silver

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:00 pm

as stars burn wrote:Full question: Can schools rescind their admissions offer if you try negotitating scholarship money?

I have already put a seat deposit down and will most likely attend the school regardless as to if they increase my scholarship or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I've had a few schools extend the deposit deadline for me and have more money offered to me at similarly ranked schools. I just wrote a nice, professional, straight-forward email to the admissions office telling them my seat deposit is already down, but that I received more money and deposit extensions at other schools and if there was anything I could do to be considered for a scholarship increase. With my deposit down already I'm sure they can see that I'm serious about going.

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=17

If you do something like this then yes.
Last edited by hiromoto45 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Sounds like it's probably not going to work, but don't worry they aren't going to throw you out for trying.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:01 pm

Nope. They can only rescind an offer if you lied on your application or something major happened after you acceptance (like a criminal act). Scholarship negotiation is kosher and expected.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:05 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
as stars burn wrote:Full question: Can schools rescind their admissions offer if you try negotitating scholarship money?

:shock: :shock: At that story from Michigan. Who could possibly be so stupid?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Any such attempts should only be made on April first, if at all.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:08 pm

jks289 wrote::shock: :shock: At that story from Michigan. Who could possibly be so stupid?
He posts here actually, you should ask him

j/k :wink:

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:10 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
jks289 wrote::shock: :shock: At that story from Michigan. Who could possibly be so stupid?
He posts here actually, you should ask him

j/k :wink:
*Shakes fist and yells "Damn you, H20Man!"*

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:14 pm

jks289 wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:

:shock: :shock: At that story from Michigan. Who could possibly be so stupid?
Seriously. That's crazy. I'm too petrified to lie like that, haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:16 pm

That story really is crazy, I kind of wish someone would have showed it to me earlier before I faxed every school I'm still considering a plea for more financial aid with a fake NYU full scholarship award letter attached. :|

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:19 pm

I would say most schools expect you to negotiate money. Dean Z's advice at the bottom of the post were right on. Be nice, and be honest. You can still play hardball while doing so, and it's much better to ask and get turned down for additional money than it is to not and then wonder about it the next 3 years.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:22 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Any such attempts should only be made on April first, if at all.
I know I should have asked earlier. Oh well, I won't be heartbroken. I'm going regardless.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:35 am

Here's my problem. I took a full time job for a Congressman while simultaneously taking on the hardest semester of my life this semester. Concordantly, my GPA took a vigorous dip. Are they going to ask to see my Fall semester transcript if I try to negotiate money?

Furthermore, do I need to send that stanky transcript in to LSAC?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:55 pm

lisjjen wrote:Here's my problem. I took a full time job for a Congressman while simultaneously taking on the hardest semester of my life this semester. Concordantly, my GPA took a vigorous dip. Are they going to ask to see my Fall semester transcript if I try to negotiate money?

Furthermore, do I need to send that stanky transcript in to LSAC?

Probably, and yes.

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:09 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:That story really is crazy, I kind of wish someone would have showed it to me earlier before I faxed every school I'm still considering a plea for more financial aid with a fake NYU full scholarship award letter attached. :|
Hahahahahahahaha!

dorriedoodle

New

Post by dorriedoodle » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:12 pm

When is it appropriate to start having those conversations?

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:54 pm

dorriedoodle wrote:When is it appropriate to start having those conversations?
When you have a couple scholarship offers in hand from peer schools or acceptances from schools significantly higher ranked than the school with whom you're trying to negotiate. This is typically late January on.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”