Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby as stars burn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:58 pm

Full question: Can schools rescind their admissions offer if you try negotitating scholarship money?

Just curious, and I worry too much.

I have already put a seat deposit down and will most likely attend the school regardless as to if they increase my scholarship or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I've had a few schools extend the deposit deadline for me and have more money offered to me at similarly ranked schools. I just wrote a nice, professional, straight-forward email to the admissions office telling them my seat deposit is already down, but that I received more money and deposit extensions at other schools and if there was anything I could do to be considered for a scholarship increase. With my deposit down already I'm sure they can see that I'm serious about going.

Any insight would be helpful!

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:00 pm

as stars burn wrote:Full question: Can schools rescind their admissions offer if you try negotitating scholarship money?

Just curious, and I worry too much.

I have already put a seat deposit down and will most likely attend the school regardless as to if they increase my scholarship or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I've had a few schools extend the deposit deadline for me and have more money offered to me at similarly ranked schools. I just wrote a nice, professional, straight-forward email to the admissions office telling them my seat deposit is already down, but that I received more money and deposit extensions at other schools and if there was anything I could do to be considered for a scholarship increase. With my deposit down already I'm sure they can see that I'm serious about going.

Any insight would be helpful!


http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=17

If you do something like this then yes.
Last edited by hiromoto45 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Sounds like it's probably not going to work, but don't worry they aren't going to throw you out for trying.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:01 pm

Nope. They can only rescind an offer if you lied on your application or something major happened after you acceptance (like a criminal act). Scholarship negotiation is kosher and expected.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:05 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
as stars burn wrote:Full question: Can schools rescind their admissions offer if you try negotitating scholarship money?

Just curious, and I worry too much.

I have already put a seat deposit down and will most likely attend the school regardless as to if they increase my scholarship or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I've had a few schools extend the deposit deadline for me and have more money offered to me at similarly ranked schools. I just wrote a nice, professional, straight-forward email to the admissions office telling them my seat deposit is already down, but that I received more money and deposit extensions at other schools and if there was anything I could do to be considered for a scholarship increase. With my deposit down already I'm sure they can see that I'm serious about going.

Any insight would be helpful!


http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=17

If you do something like this then yes.


:shock: :shock: At that story from Michigan. Who could possibly be so stupid?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Any such attempts should only be made on April first, if at all.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:08 pm

jks289 wrote::shock: :shock: At that story from Michigan. Who could possibly be so stupid?


He posts here actually, you should ask him


j/k :wink:

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:10 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
jks289 wrote::shock: :shock: At that story from Michigan. Who could possibly be so stupid?


He posts here actually, you should ask him


j/k :wink:


*Shakes fist and yells "Damn you, H20Man!"*

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby as stars burn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:14 pm

jks289 wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
as stars burn wrote:Full question: Can schools rescind their admissions offer if you try negotitating scholarship money?

Just curious, and I worry too much.

I have already put a seat deposit down and will most likely attend the school regardless as to if they increase my scholarship or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I've had a few schools extend the deposit deadline for me and have more money offered to me at similarly ranked schools. I just wrote a nice, professional, straight-forward email to the admissions office telling them my seat deposit is already down, but that I received more money and deposit extensions at other schools and if there was anything I could do to be considered for a scholarship increase. With my deposit down already I'm sure they can see that I'm serious about going.

Any insight would be helpful!


http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... aspx?ID=17

If you do something like this then yes.


:shock: :shock: At that story from Michigan. Who could possibly be so stupid?


Seriously. That's crazy. I'm too petrified to lie like that, haha.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:16 pm

That story really is crazy, I kind of wish someone would have showed it to me earlier before I faxed every school I'm still considering a plea for more financial aid with a fake NYU full scholarship award letter attached. :|

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby OGR3 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:19 pm

I would say most schools expect you to negotiate money. Dean Z's advice at the bottom of the post were right on. Be nice, and be honest. You can still play hardball while doing so, and it's much better to ask and get turned down for additional money than it is to not and then wonder about it the next 3 years.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby as stars burn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:22 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Any such attempts should only be made on April first, if at all.


I know I should have asked earlier. Oh well, I won't be heartbroken. I'm going regardless.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby lisjjen » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:35 am

Here's my problem. I took a full time job for a Congressman while simultaneously taking on the hardest semester of my life this semester. Concordantly, my GPA took a vigorous dip. Are they going to ask to see my Fall semester transcript if I try to negotiate money?

Furthermore, do I need to send that stanky transcript in to LSAC?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:55 pm

lisjjen wrote:Here's my problem. I took a full time job for a Congressman while simultaneously taking on the hardest semester of my life this semester. Concordantly, my GPA took a vigorous dip. Are they going to ask to see my Fall semester transcript if I try to negotiate money?

Furthermore, do I need to send that stanky transcript in to LSAC?



Probably, and yes.

User avatar
DukeCornell
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 3:19 am

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby DukeCornell » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:09 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:That story really is crazy, I kind of wish someone would have showed it to me earlier before I faxed every school I'm still considering a plea for more financial aid with a fake NYU full scholarship award letter attached. :|


Hahahahahahahaha!

dorriedoodle
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby dorriedoodle » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:12 pm

When is it appropriate to start having those conversations?

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Can schools rescind their offer if you negotiate money?

Postby OGR3 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:54 pm

dorriedoodle wrote:When is it appropriate to start having those conversations?


When you have a couple scholarship offers in hand from peer schools or acceptances from schools significantly higher ranked than the school with whom you're trying to negotiate. This is typically late January on.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest